Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

She's pregnant agian!

squeezy

Cavy Slave
Long story short i was given 5 guinea pigs. A mom, a dad, and three babies that i was going to take two of them when they were old enough to leave the mom.

So my guinea pig Mamaz is pregnant again. Both times was an accident. Her first pregnancy was her first and she had 3 babies. What i didn't know was one of her babies was a male...and he got her pregnant...i gave him the the pet shop and he was gone in a day. I still have her two female babies.

My question is would the new babies be okay living with the other two females that isn't their mom until they are old enough to give away? Or should i seprate them from the mom and new babies?

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
As long as you have enough room in your c&c cage, you should keep the female babies with their mother, and the male ones should stay together in a seperate cage.

You can visit this link to learn about exactly when to seperate the male babies from the female babies as I described above: https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

Visit these links to learn the basics on how to sex the babies: https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

It is highly advised against giving your guinea pigs away, especially to a pet store. They are likely to be in danger of losing their life or at least being abused or becoming sick if you give them back to a pet store. Even if the pet store sells them, they could still end up in any of those above situations in the wrong hands, or be used for snake food.

If you do not feel comfortable with sexing the pups, and aren't sure you are correct, then I would suggest taking them to a cavy-savvy vet who can probably do a more accurate job.

squeezy

Cavy Slave
so the first babies that are about 9 to 10 weeks old will be okay with the new babies when they are born? i just want to make sure cus i'd be devastated if i came home and the babies are dead or something. i just wan to make sure everything will be fine.

I'm going to try to find a home for them, but I don't know many people who doesn't hate guinea piggers.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
so the first babies that are about 9 to 10 weeks old will be okay with the new babies when they are born? i just want to make sure cus i'd be devastated if i came home and the babies are dead or something. i just wan to make sure everything will be fine.

I'm going to try to find a home for them, but I don't know many people who doesn't hate guinea piggers.

No, those babies should be sexed (by a cavy-savvy vet if you don't feel sure about it) immediately and seperated now according to gender. They can be placed with the new babies when they come, but you still have to be sure of gender. So, I would not mix them with the new babies until you know the sexes of the new babies, just to make sure.

It is reccomended to seperate males from females at no later than 3 weeks of age, because there is a good chance that males can become sexually mature by then, and impregnate mom and/or sisters.
You should act immediately (as in stop reading this and go now) and seperate the 9-10 week old babies by gender (girls with girls, boys with boys).

Look at the links I posted for how to sex a guinea pig. Those will help you until you can make a vet appointment.

squeezy

Cavy Slave
ok sorry but that still isn't answering my question. it says they can be placed with the babies after they come but all my guineas are FEMALE that are in the cage currently. the new babies have yet to be born. I know how to sex them that is not the problem anymore. i know three weeks take them away but she was pregnant when i got them from my friend.

my question...
WILL THE NEW BABIES BE OK WITH THE TWO OTHER FEMALES I HAVE IN THERE OR DO I HAVE TO BUY A THIRD CAGE FOR THE TWO FEMALES THAT ARE NOT HAVE THE BABIES?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They should be fine all together.

Sophistacavy, not picking on you, but if you had read the original post on this thread you would have noticed that all pigs are female.

squeezy

Cavy Slave
thanks! she had her babies about 2 hours ago. there were 5 but 2 or them didn't make it. they are all really cute. :D

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that two didn't make it. But at least you have three that did.

I'd love to see some pigtures when you get the time to take some!

squeezy

Cavy Slave
I just made a photo album with some pictures of all the piggies i have in my house. I'll be getting more soon. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.