PDA

View Full Version : Cage Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Review

WICavy
03-23-09, 10:22 pm
Okay, I got my new cage today and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think it'd be perfect for everyone, but it has some good features. So here is the run down:

Pros

Easy to assemble (Took about 5 minutes)
Light-weight (Easy to move around)
Portable
Conventient (no shopping around to find supplies)
Inside measurement of 23" x 46 1/2" (Or 7.42 square feet)
With lid, it could be used for outdoor run. (temporary)
Can be connected to additional cage for more room.
Great for someone who wants the looks of a store bought cage.
Cons

No bottom support.
Light-weight (May not take a beating from dogs/kids)
Doors easy for toddler to open. (Fixed with binder clips)
Lower side walls.
Not as customizable as C&C.
I don't know yet about cleaning it, since I just set it up today. I'll post more in the coming days with this information.

Here is a picture of it on top of a 2x4. It's hard to see in the picture, but it extends past the 2x4 on a support frame; making the whole cage 3x4 with an unusable 1x4 in the back.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3656/3380537175_eb480c9818.jpg

rabbitsncavyluv
03-23-09, 10:41 pm
I dunno.. doesn't exactly look like a store bought cage either, more like an open pen.

Compared to that, the C&C cage looks nicer in my opinion, and sturdier. I like higher pans or else they can kick bedding and hay out more easily.

Let us know how the bottom holds up over time.

WICavy
03-24-09, 12:07 pm
I dunno.. doesn't exactly look like a store bought cage either, more like an open pen.

Compared to that, the C&C cage looks nicer in my opinion, and sturdier. I like higher pans or else they can kick bedding and hay out more easily.

Let us know how the bottom holds up over time.

Of course the above points are merely my opinions :) I was thinking if a minor was trying to convince their parents they needed to expand their cage, their parents might be more open to bought cage vs. a made cage. I guess I should have explained this point a little more.

I think the bottom is going to hold up fine, but again this is just guessing. The material reminds me of waterproof saddle bags (for horses). It look durable. But, the pig I have in there now doesn't chew on her cage, so I don't know if that could be a problem.

Anyway, like I said, I'm very happy with it and I wish I had found this earlier. :)

_Lisa_
03-27-09, 11:32 am
I have this cage as well, actually I've got 2 (although I disassembled the second one to add space to the original cage.) My cage is sitting atop of a desk to provide a hard bottom (with a layer of towels underneath so its not too hard) and it is 11 square feet.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/lharper136/100_1114.jpg

I'll probably expand up with the extra pieces of cage I have from the second habitat I bought but I haven't decided just how to do that yet. :)

If the pic looks familiar its because my review of the cage is the one posted on the Midwest Homes site.

Peggysu
03-27-09, 12:10 pm
It looks a little small to me. My girls wouldn't be able to do the laps they like, but it's definitely an improvement from the glorified litter boxes.

_Lisa_
03-27-09, 12:45 pm
It looks a little small to me. My girls wouldn't be able to do the laps they like, but it's definitely an improvement from the glorified litter boxes.

The separators can be moved to create more space for laps. :) I switch back & forth between leaving it in or taking it out.

WICavy
03-27-09, 09:45 pm
If the pic looks familiar its because my review of the cage is the one posted on the Midwest Homes site.

I think your cage looks great, and I'll probably invest in another one of these soon :)

How do you go about cleaning yours?

_Lisa_
03-27-09, 10:26 pm
I think your cage looks great, and I'll probably invest in another one of these soon :)

How do you go about cleaning yours?

Well, I keep the bottom covered with carefresh. At first I tried to use no bedding but I found it wasn't as nasty to clean out if something was in the bottom.

So I completely clear out all of the carefresh once a week and then wash the canvas bottom in the bathtub & pop it into the dryer for about 10 minutes before putting it back together.

tara8301
08-05-09, 01:12 pm
Thanks so much for posting this review! I've been unable to really find any reviews of this cage. I was thinking about ordering one as a travel cage for my two pigs. My girl just got diagnosed as a heart pig and has to take medication every 12 hrs. so I needed something suitable so I could take the pigs with me if I needed to, but I didn't want to cramp them in a pet store cage. This little discussion has reassured me that this will be a good investment and best for my piggies health.