Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia bedding in australia?

organicsab

Cavy Slave
i was told to use towels and fleece as a bedding and it sounds great. should i use it in summer too or will it get too hot?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Do you have air conditioning?

organicsab

Cavy Slave
no, they are outside

pennykit&amanda

Cavy Slave
It's going to be too hot no matter what you do. Please put your piggies inside, they will be much safer and happier in a C&C... inside!

organicsab

Cavy Slave
I cant really do that cuz we're renting, plus we have no fans or air con inside :( so i think it would be worse. I've always had them outside and they've been fine, maybe suggestions on another bedding would be good... thanks!

april07

Cavy Slave
I cant really do that cuz we're renting, plus we have no fans or air con inside :( so i think it would be worse. I've always had them outside and they've been fine, maybe suggestions on another bedding would be good... thanks!

I do understand the situation of renting and hoping to have the GP inside but also due to the weather here that changes so fast, make thing hard too. We come to GP's forum, to able to get as much good info as can be to look after our GP and understand them more and makes all (human and animals) happy. =)

I don't have GP yet, as I am going to build their C & C cage. They will be indoor and if very hot weather, think I will shift them to our big verandah.
I draw up a floor plan and make sure where their kitchen and litter going to be.
I live in country-side and always worry of predators here especially snake, even they are indoor.

About their bedding, will use hay and fleece.
Wish I know more so I can share with you, organicsab.
I was recommend by a petshop staff here that one kind of bedding is good for them and inexpensive than the other. I can't remember the brand name as I didn't get it yet but maybe soon. She said that it make lighter smell than the other type and GP loves them. I would give a try then.
Will get normal hay too from the sawmill cause there are nearer to my place.

Guess my GPs will be here in April.

organicsab

Cavy Slave
Thats nice, you'll have to post of pics of your new piggies. I'm been told I should use a bedding called Hysorb, i'm pretty sure i saw it at a petshop down the road. They said i'll have to clean it once a week, which is good. and it wont get as hot as fleece in summer. There no preditors here, cats wont dare enter our garden cuz of my dog and theres no snakes or anything here. just lots of geckos!! lol

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Fleece is fine all year round. I use it with no problems - in summer I add tiles to keep them cool and in winter I add cozy saks to keep them warm.

HOWEVER, please bring them inside. I live in Australia as well and I used to keep my pigs outside. I remember bringing up every excuse under the moon - there are no predators, the temperature is fine, no-one will steal them etc etc. The truth is I was wrong, and was just trying to justify something that is quite normal in Australia - but something that should be changed.

Our house is on the market, and when it is sold we are moving to a rental for 6-12 months until we can afford to buy/build again. Coming with us will include our two dogs and the pigs, and they will all be inside animals. Alot of the rental listings specifiy no animals - but this site Pet Friendly Rentals - Helping Australian pet owners find rental properties is brilliant. I will be subscribing to it when our house is sold and we are looking for a rental.

Summer is a killer, no matter where you are it gets hot (with the exception of some places where it is cold alot of the year, an example of this would be Tassie. I have relatives there and it is quite cold in comparison to W.A but too cold for the pigs to be outside) - either way you don't win, hot or cold. Pigs thrive in stable temperatures, something I found out firsthand where the constant erratic temperatures resulted in many a sick pig. When they came inside all of our problems were solved. I have also witnessed first hand a neighbours pig die as a result of heatstroke - she was kept outside and it was a hot day. Despite having frozen bottles etc she got heatstroke, when I was called over I tried everything to get her temp down but she fitted and died in my arms. It was a horrible horrible thing.

Please re-think your situation, there honestly should be no reason why they should have to suffer outside though I completely understand how hard it would be if you are in a rental situation.

organicsab

Cavy Slave
so if they were to be inside, how would they keep cool in summer when we're out and all the windows closed? i saw a thing at the pet shop, u put in freezer and then put it in the pigs cage to use in summer

april07

Cavy Slave
Yes, I have to consider so many things that will be the safe for my coming GPs.
Wants them to be happy and happy.
Summer here is quite hot here and predators are coming for hunting too. =(

I just build the cage and now I need to get snake proof wire in case during winter them I need to put the GP's cage outside my verandah so they won't get heatstroke cause it will be cooler out-there than inside during noon time. At night, they will be inside. =)
which I will feel more safe for them.

I have tile and will put them in for them during summer so they will feel cold.
Night and early morning will be cold here, so I will put more warmer blanket for them.

I am so glad that I found some good idea from Australia's GP lover here who share their great idea. Hope to hear more experience idea to share.

organicsab

Cavy Slave
yeah its good learning about piggies, i've always had them outside and they have been fine, i've just seen everyone using fleece and wanted to know if it got too hot but i got all sorts of different answers and mostly people telling me to keep them insde, so i just went and got hysorb which is great and surprisingly cheap!. i've never had a problem with them being outside, not with weather, preditors or anything. i'll try the tile idea, i've also been told to wrap and ice pack with a teatowel or sock and they like to lay on that. and in winter i'm getting them cuddle cups and things like that.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Just because you have not had a problem with them being outside does not mean you won't. There is a serious risk of heatstroke (I find it hard to believe that inside will be hotter than outside, and if it is a fan will solve that problem) and like wise a serious risk of them becoming sick as a result of the cold. The temperature flactuates and this can be stressful, which again can lead to illness. Plus, inside they are much more a part of the family so you are more likely to pick up illnesses earlier.

Please, bring them inside.

Organicsab - I have answered your question. I said that using fleece should be fine.

DON'T give them ice packs, if they bite on it the liquid inside could kill them.

A common thing around here is to have an outdoor enclosure where the pigs go when it is nice (though they should be watched at all times) and then they live inside for the rest of the time, this is another possibility.

I feel there is little I can do if you won't listen to my advice - it seems you are pretty dead set in your ways.

organicsab

Cavy Slave
its not that im dead set on my ways, its that the owners of the house wouldnt allow pets inside at all... theres only pedistal fans inside and that wont be good as they will be getting a direct breeze on them all the time. if i had my own home i would do a c&c cage, they are very nice cages. thats why i'm trying to get as much info on keeping them outside as possible. i know some people have said to use fleece, some said to not use fleece, so i didnt know what to do... i see them every day so they are very much part of the family life, this weekend i'm getting a massive run for the grass for them so i can even hang out with them in there. trust me it gets hotter in here than outide when the house is closed up. they never get direct sun, only a little in the afternoon, but i cover it so it doesnt get thru and they get a nice soft breeze too. as for the ice packs, i meant those hard plastic blue ones with water inside.. the water inside freezes up.

april07

Cavy Slave
its not that im dead set on my ways, its that the owners of the house wouldnt allow pets inside at all... theres only pedistal fans inside and that wont be good as they will be getting a direct breeze on them all the time. if i had my own home i would do a c&c cage, they are very nice cages. thats why i'm trying to get as much info on keeping them outside as possible. i know some people have said to use fleece, some said to not use fleece, so i didnt know what to do... i see them every day so they are very much part of the family life, this weekend i'm getting a massive run for the grass for them so i can even hang out with them in there. trust me it gets hotter in here than outide when the house is closed up. they never get direct sun, only a little in the afternoon, but i cover it so it doesnt get thru and they get a nice soft breeze too. as for the ice packs, i meant those hard plastic blue ones with water inside.. the water inside freezes up.

Hard, when rental people is not allow to have animals inside the house.
Like where I live, which is a community farm, we are not allow to have cats and dogs, as they are harmful to wildlife animal around our area(that what they said); therefore we can't have cats or dogs here and we respect the rules. I am glad other little animals are not banned in my area. =)
Organicsab, how long you been having your GP?

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
I bought ice packs off ebay non toxic and they last for eight hours. I wrap it in a towel and the guinea pigs lie on it when they are hot. It is best to keep them indoors due to heat stroke. I also give them a little bath which they really enjoy.

april07

Cavy Slave
I bought ice packs off ebay non toxic and they last for eight hours. I wrap it in a towel and the guinea pigs lie on it when they are hot. It is best to keep them indoors due to heat stroke. I also give them a little bath which they really enjoy.

I will jot that down when summer come around again as my GPs will be here for summer in Dec'09. =)
Just wonderful to get idea from those in Australia too. =)
I am very new to GP and want my GPs happy like me. =)

organicsab

Cavy Slave
well the gp's i've had now one for about 7 months and one i got yesterday. i had one that passed of old age about 2 weeks ago, he was 6 and i had him from the beginning... hes always been outside too

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.