Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing things?

teatea121

Cavy Slave
I have a question about chewing toys. Didi and Gogo are not interested in bird toys or willow/grass balls. I found that Didi seemed to have long teeth. He tends to open his mouth and shows teeth. They chew grids usually. Didi sometimes chew the grass tunnel. Do piggies chew a lot; otherwise, grow teeth really fast?
What kind of chewing things should I try?

A side question, Gogo has come up to touch my hand a few times today. I think this is a good sign?:tearsofjo

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Have you tried wooden toys? I also have Chubes, small chewable tunnels that they sleep in and its chewable. I've heard that some Guinea Pigs chew lots and others might have to have their teeth clipped. Ask one of the mods through PM if they don't answer through here. They'd know more.

Amethyst

Cavy Slave
My pigs love to chew on cardboard. You should ask someone else before taking my advice though. ;)

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I think that's what the chubes are made from but it says on the box "SAFE TO CHEW". So, and I just bought Carly's. Boy, you should see the difference of Carly's and Sandy's!

snistopher

Cavy Slave
My Doodles is a chewing machine (which is only slightly bested by his pooping abilities lol), so I give him plenty to chew on: wood blocks (which make great borders for his hay place, and also a stand for him to get to his water buddy), wood cubes, a wooden hideaway home, and wood chew toys. During his play time, I've made a bunch of tunnels and hiding places with cardboard, which he chews on quite often. So, to answer your question, I believe some gp's are prone to chew a lot :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They need unlimited grass hay for chewing to wear down their molars. Most pigs don't care about chew toys.

teatea121

Cavy Slave
They need unlimited grass hay for chewing to wear down their molars. Most pigs don't care about chew toys.

Thank you, Ly! I have been giving them blue grass everyday. Does it count as grass hay?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.