Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Which is Messier Rabbits or Cavies?

pennick

Cavy Slave
For some reason I have believed that rabbits are smellier and messier than guinea pigs. Is this true?

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
A lot of people seem to think that rabbits are very stinky. Rabbits go through a teenage phase where their urine can smell a bit more than normal. If rabbits are spayed and neutered and their environment is kept clean, then they do not stink at all. People who have smelly rabbits have either not spayed/neutered them or they are not keeping the area clean enough. I think rabbits are also less messy since they litter train pretty easily and groom themselves like cats, but they do love to dig.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
My bunnies are litter trained and are very clean. My piggies make more mess I suppose because they run around thier cages and bedding and the occasional poop get strewn around the floor. My rabbits do not have bedding, they have cotton rugs and grass mats as thier flooring.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
I believe guinea pigs are messier than rabbits.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Both are very clean animals, but I think rabbit urine smells much worse than guinea pig urine. I personally hated cleaning the rabbits litter boxes and found myself having to clean those things every day because of the intense smell. The good thing is that rabbits can be litter-trained though, so it's all in one condensed area. I'd rather clean an entire guinea pig cage though...

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I know that my bunnies pee smells. But also If you get your bunnies fixed it will eliminate the smelly probelems too. I will be getting my 2 bunnies fixed as soon as I get enough money for them. I think that my bunnies are messier than my piggies. But Im using fleece for my piggers and will be getting washable rugs for my bunnies down the road. Heavy washable rugs.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Both of my bunnies were fixed, their pee still stinks! LOL

GuineaPigsRock

Cavy Slave
I think rabbits are messier. Guinea pigs almost never need a bath.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Neither do rabbits

GuineaPigsRock said:
I think rabbits are messier. Guinea pigs almost never need a bath.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
I like giving my pets baths. They look really cute, and after you dry them theyre fluffy and smell really nice.

bromers

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig is very messy when it comes to poo and his smell but my rabbit kicks alot of sawdust and hay around you just have to balance them out i would say that rabbits are cleaner as mine is i think that rabbits are cleaner but guinea pigs are better pets

Zombie

Cavy Slave
I would have to say the 2 GP's are much messier than the one rabbit (so far). But even worse is the "LP" we have living here, he is by far the messiest

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
What's an "LP" ?

Zombie said:
I would have to say the 2 GP's are much messier than the one rabbit (so far). But even worse is the "LP" we have living here, he is by far the messiest

Last edited:

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
I would think that Guinea pigs are messier because they are not litter box trained and you usually use wood shavings for bedding. A rabbit is like a cat, they groom themselves and use a litterbox. For bedding you can use rugs, towels, etc... things that are easily laundered. For rugs, I currently use kitchen throw rugs and bath mats - things I can throw in the washer... my rabbits don't dig at the rugs so I don't worry about that. I give them an area of newspaper flooring for them to dig at and shred.

Zombie

Cavy Slave
Sorry about that, it was supposed to be an inside joke for my wife.

LP = Little Prince which is my wife's 26 year old son, who unfortunately is back living with us. He is by far messier than all of the animals combined.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Zombie said:
Sorry about that, it was supposed to be an inside joke for my wife.

LP = Little Prince which is my wife's 26 year old son, who unfortunately is back living with us. He is by far messier than all of the animals combined.

Thats funny. Now that I think about it, my daughters room is condemed, I don't enter unless there is an emergency. So I would agree, she is much messier than any animal.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs you can litter box trained. I trained mine. My friend has 3 adult and 8 baby Californian rabbits and they don't really stink. The babies just got fur they are so cute! They are smaller then the 6 week old guinea pigs we saw in the store!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.