Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Piggy Bedspreads...

SparklesGrammy

Cavy Slave
I'm sure this is a more expensive way to do fleece bedding, but I was wondering if anyone has used these piggy bedspreads and what your opinions of them were? Are they easy to wash?

Link removed by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corinne

Cavy Slave
Yes!!!!

I have 2Piggie Bedspreads and HIGHLY recommend them.

I could be their poster girl!! Let me proclaim the wonders of Piggie Bedspreads!

I have had 2 of them since December. I use one per week and switch when I do the full cage cleaning.

I have the ladybug with black sides and the dolphins with light blue sides. I prefer the ladybug one simply because the darker colours show less staining. Having said this, I soaked the dolphin one in Oxi Clean last week and it came out like a dream.

I brush the cage 1-2 times a day. It is much easier than when I just had fleece. The covering stays put.

Before washing, I give a good brush to it. Then I take it outside and finish giving it a brush into the front garden bed. The backing gives the fleece support and makes it much easier.

Throw it into the wash and voila! All done. It's as easy as it looks on their video on ebay.

I am in Canada on the opposite coast. The Whitings were pleasant and wonderful to deal with. Everything was exactly as advertised.

My cage sits in a formal dining room. The bedspreads class up the look of the cage.

They are aesthetically and functionally wonderful.

If you have the means, the Piggie Bedspreads are an excellent investment.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
THey look so cool!! But alas, I can make my own for much much cheaper, although I can handle a sewing machine fairly well :)

Today I made 4 fleece pads, 3 lap pads and 9 cozies. My mom came over with her machine as well adn we spent the day sewing piggy items together, really fun, actually!

hilary

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking about getting these, but I guess I'll wait until my other fleece is not longer usable, or just too stained for my taste. I just don't want to fork out the money right now, but I'm sure they're worth it in the long run. Plus, cute patterns!

THey look so cool!! But alas, I can make my own for much much cheaper, although I can handle a sewing machine fairly well :)

Today I made 4 fleece pads, 3 lap pads and 9 cozies. My mom came over with her machine as well adn we spent the day sewing piggy items together, really fun, actually!

What did you back the fleece with shamrockmommy? I'd love to make some lap pads and cozies. My mom and I are thinking about getting a sewing machine.

meandmypigs

Cavy Slave
Im sorry if this is a stupid question, but when you say matress pads what kind do you mean? Like the 1/4 or 1/2 inch ones? Are they foam or like batting? I type matress pads into google and it takes me to like the memory foam ones, and I dont even have one of those for me! Even though my pigs are spoiled I cant affod one for them either!

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
The mattress pads I use are the cheapish walmart ones called "cotton rich" mattress pads. I guess they'r about 1/2" thick I'd say.

So my pig quilts are top layer fleece, sewn to cut to fit mattress pad.

A king sized one got me 4 new quilts made plus some extra for the lap pads, which probably are close to 1' by 1' pads. Absorbant, washable, wonderful!

I make the fleece a bit larger than the pad, so that I can fold it over the edge of the pad and sew it down. It is one lovely piece that you can suck or sweep poos off, and roll it up when it's dirty to take out and shake, then just wipe off the coro and flop in another one. Nothing to layer and straighten. ETA: when I sew the pads, I also run a line of stitching about every 6" or so around the quilt so there is no bunching or shifting of the fleece or pad.

They wash up quite nicely and handle odor very well.

Although the real piggy quilts are gorgeous, arent' they!

Somanypets

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad that you started this post. I had looked at this website some time ago and was having a hard time finding it again. Thanks for the link Corinne!

Megan Velius

Cavy Slave
shamrockmommy-

All the mattress pads on walmart's website are "waterproof", so I was thinking that might not work and it would just bead up right on the fleece, or does it soak in eventually? What type do you use? I really love your idea though, it will be so much cheaper.

Thanks for the great idea!!!!!

bgbear624

Cavy Slave
Megan - I think you use something in between the fleece and the waterproof layer, like towels, cotton batting, or something else absorbent to soak up the urine. The waterproofing layer is just to prevent leaks underneath the pad.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please look at the dates on threads before replying to them people! This thread was last replied to several months ago then someone decided to dredge it back up again last night. If it's older than a couple of months old, it's better left alone and a new thread started with your questions.

Megan Velius

Cavy Slave
Thanks you Rnd210! that's exactly what i needed to know. :)

and I don't see whats wrong with writing on an old thread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.