Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Piggie flings shavings out of his cage - need help

catgrrl24

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm a new guinea pig mom to a male short-haired piggie named Sam. We bought a store-bought cage for him that has plastic at the bottom, then wire. We have used both wood shavings and the recycled bedding and he runs around in his cage so quickly that it all flies out (including poop) getting on our carpet. Is anything made to help this? I'd hate to waste money by having to get a new cage already. There's got to be some ideas out there!
Thanks all!

Kristen:confused:

WICavy

Cavy Slave
Have you thought about building one of the cages they recommend here? They're better for your pig and you can make the sides higher so the bedding doesn't fly out. A lot of people here also like to use fleece with towels underneath instead of shavings. There are lot of solutions, but a bigger cage would help a lot. I've seen some pictures where people have even incorporated their old with the new bigger cage; then you wouldn't have to feel like you were wasting money. :)

Anyway, I hope my babbling has helped. Spend some time searching this site for some great information on how to care for you new piggie!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, you most likely do need a new cage. The good news is that it can be cheap and easy and will make your pig much happier. And it will solve the shavings problem! Have you seen the C&C (cubes and coroplast) cages that are the focus of this site? If not, click on "home" in the upper left corner of the screen. If your cage has wire on the bottom, this can cause major foot problems, and it is almost certainly way too small. He will need at least 7.5 square feet and preferably more. C&C cages are very cheap and easy to make. They are big enough and can be changed around as needed. They are also very easy to clean and the coroplast siding will keep the shavings in the cage. Make it as high as you need. You may want to read the sticky in the bedding forum on using fleece. It is cheap after the initial expense, and there is no bedding to be kicked out, except from a litter box if you choose to use one. Also, please keep in mind that your pig will be much, much happier with a friend. Please look into adopting one from a rescue or shelter (not a breeder or a pet store). I hope this helps even if it's a bit more work than you had in mind! Good luck and feel free to ask questions as needed!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ditto. Pet store cages are too small and their trays tend to be too shallow. If you build a C&C cage as advertised on this website, you can make the coroplast bottoms higher so they can't kick bedding out.

If you just got it, you may be able to return it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.