Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Should I get a carrier?

Figaro

Cavy Slave
Should I get a little carrier for my future GP at Petsmart?

Also..do you think Figaro (the name of the cat off Pinocchio) is a cute name?

hilary

Cavy Slave
I got one about a month after adopting my pig, just to have one in case I ever need to rush them to the vet. I would say it's a good idea to get one, but don't spend too much on it unless you'll be using it a ton. I found mine at target (you can find some cheap ones at Walmart also), it's a small cat carrier and works perfectly for two guinea pigs. Even if you have only one pig, the ones they sell at Petco and other pet stores are way too small even if using it for only one guinea pig. Plus they are just as much if not more than the cost of a cheap small cat carrier that will last a lot longer and provides more room.

I have this one but in a different color: (broken link removed) it was only 15.99 when I bought it.

Figaro

Cavy Slave
Also, do you think about 75 dollars is enough for all there supplies including the C&C cage that I will make?

hilary

Cavy Slave
Where I bought my coroplast, I got a 4x8 sheet (which is plenty for at least a 2x5) for 19.91. I'd say that's pretty reasonable, but I'm not sure what other places pricing goes for. Cubes, I got a box of 14 for 14.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond. I'm not sure how many you will need, but after figuring that out you can add that all up. I bought my first C&C online from Sue for 88 dollars for a 2x4, because I didn't want to deal with scoring the coroplast myself. I have recently updated to a 2x5 and went out and bought the coroplast I mentioned, as well as some extra cubes for the cage/cage stand I made. You might end up spending more than 75, or maybe less. It really depends on how much everything costs you wherever you go.

Also, for supplies: it depends what type of bedding you choose. My fleece cost about 33 bucks for two different 1.5 yard pieces which I cut down a bit. If you choose to use traditional aspen or carefresh bedding, be prepared to be spending money monthly on that. I recommend fleece which you can use for years on end and it's only the inital cost + time you spend cleaning it and washing it. I love it now that I have switched. Water bottles are 5-10 bucks a piece, food bowls I have found for 2-6 bucks depending what size. You can make a hay rack with a bend grid and that's cheap. Having a cozy would be good (typically 15 bucks), oh and towels to put under the fleece as the underbedding if you choose to do fleece.

Last edited:

Amethyst

Cavy Slave
Also, do you think about 75 dollars is enough for all there supplies including the C&C cage that I will make?

Mine cost next to nothing because I used an old campaign sign and cubes I already had. I did end up spending $40 or so just on towels, fleece and toys though. And food, water bottle, food dishes and hay were even more. Still it probably didn't cost more than $75.

WICavy

Cavy Slave
Should I get a little carrier for my future GP at Petsmart?

Also..do you think Figaro (the name of the cat off Pinocchio) is a cute name?

I made a carrier for my pigs out of cubes. It's a 1x1 cube that I divided in half. I haven't finished it yet, because I haven't needed it, but I intend to line it with coroplast. All you need is 6 grids to make the cube and zip ties to hold it together!

Oh and Figaro is a great name :)

Figaro

Cavy Slave
Awh, thanks.
:]

xDardentlove

Cavy Slave
Mine cost next to nothing because I used an old campaign sign and cubes I already had. I did end up spending $40 or so just on towels, fleece and toys though. And food, water bottle, food dishes and hay were even more. Still it probably didn't cost more than $75.

A good idea for a place to get towels for your piggies is a thrift shop. The towels are cheap and if you think about it their main purpose is to absorb urine. Why buy brand new towels just for your piggies to pee on?=) You can get way more towels for much cheaper at Good Will or other places similar to it.

Amethyst

Cavy Slave
A good idea for a place to get towels for your piggies is a thrift shop. The towels are cheap and if you think about it their main purpose is to absorb urine. Why buy brand new towels just for your piggies to pee on?=) You can get way more towels for much cheaper at Good Will or other places similar to it.

Hehe, I did buy all my towels at the thrift store for half off. ;) It was the fleece that ate up most of that $40, I got it at Walmart but it was still pretty pricey...much cheaper than Jo~Ann's though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.