Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels scared of ramp help please

pokedy4baby

Cavy Slave
We just made a nice bi-level c&c cage and our little piggie is afraid of the ramp. We put him on it and he just froze then after about 2 minutes he took 2 steps and jumped off *EEK* Its not that its too steep because the ramp stretches 2 1/2 panels long. I just dont know what to do. we have a 2x4 on bottom and a 1x2 on top.

TracyP

Cavy Slave
Do You have anything on top of the ramp? I used a grip cloth to line the bottom of the ramp. When I clean the cage and I forget to put it on she will not go up it. Maybe that will help.

Omnimous

Cavy Slave
Some one on here earlier gave a tip on ramps which I tried with great sucess! If you can, cover up the ramp so it's more like a tunnel (just put a towel or some fleece over it). My older boar would NOT go up the ramp to the second floor no matter what I did (food, water, favorite hidey, premium hay), but since I've covered it, he's up and down the ramp all the time, much to the chagrin of my younger boar, who made that his safety zone.

pokedy4baby

Cavy Slave
I have a hidey house on the top for him with more hay and water and the ramp is covered in a nice outdoor carpet that repels wetness but has grip so he wont slide down

pokedy4baby

Cavy Slave
Oh thats an idea I may have to try. I just feel bad that he is so scared of the ramp because we wanted to make a nice cage for him, but he is terrified of it.

sandnharris

Cavy Slave
We have kind of the same problem. They will go up the ramp, but not down. It's only been a week, so I'm still hoping they will learn. All the fun stuff is down at the bottom, so I feel like they don't get their exercise and fun time if they stay up top the whole time.

Just wanted to say you're not alone!

melpig

Cavy Slave
I only have experience with my two little girls (now 11 weeks old), but here's what worked for them:

1. cover the ramp like a tunnel
2. same fabric: make the surface of the ramp (fleece or whatever) the same as the rest of the cage (so it looks and feels the same)
3. make sure the ramp is absolutely secure with no jiggling
4. time and patience: provide the right environment and ongoing love and attention and leave the piggies to discover to explore and do things in their own time and in their own way.

My daughter and I both have felt impatient to introduce new and fun things but the piggies repeatedly show us that they will deal with it in their own ways in their own sweet time. We have to be patient.:rolleyes:

Also, rather than trying to coax them, there greatest influence seems to be each other. One tries something new, reports to the other one, and soon they're both up to new monkey business.

I find as my girls feel more and more secure, their curiosity is overruling their skittish natures. The transformation from 6 weeks old (when we adopted to now), to now at 11 weeks, has been remarkable (from totally hiding to now hand feeding).

Perhaps older, calmer piggies just need time to explore new things on their own as well. Some may never like the ramp. Time will tell. :)

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
Besides making the ramp safe( all the great suggestions from the other replies), you could also try this:

I taught my piggies how to go up the ramp by leaving a trail of their favorite food on the ramp, leading to the veggie bowl on the second storey at mealtime.

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
Do You have anything on top of the ramp? I used a grip cloth to line the bottom of the ramp. When I clean the cage and I forget to put it on she will not go up it. Maybe that will help.

Tracey, that little wall with cutout windows and door is adorable, and so much more is your piggy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.