Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Best pet

lampy

Cavy Slave
i am doing a survey and would like to know the pro's and cons of having a guinea pig, compared to other pet.

if wanted i am willing (once completed) to send the results of my test to this website.

i will be getting my guinea pig in the spring!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Jess1ca

Cavy Slave
they're bigger than hamsters, mice & gerbals so if you take them out to play and they get on the floor, it wouldn't be as hard to find them + they're easy to pick up

Sparky

Cavy Slave
PRO: don't bite or try to escape. make purring noises. more personality than hamsters/mice.

CON: need vitamin c, need more space

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Pros: Big enough to be cuddled, have more personality than some other small animals, easier to take care of then a dog or other high maintenance animals.

Cons: Have to watch their diet (make sure they are getting enough vitamin c), many products sold are not actually good for guinea pigs (this can get confusing), can be too noisy for some quieter apartment buildings (I find this to be a pro also, because it shows their personalities), their are very sensitive to extreme temperature, either too hot or too cold.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Dont have to walk piggies. I am allergic to cats. Dont have to clean out smelly mushy food each day. Dont have to spend as much time with piggies as a dog or cat. Dont have to worry about throw up from hair balls I think, as you would from a cat. They are just the right size, like a kitten. Since they are smaller and are contained they dont shed all over the house.

The only con is their cage takes up 1/3 of my bedroom and is in my way most of the time.

lampy

Cavy Slave
thanks alot! all this is excellent stuff, please keep it coming.

fawnmarie

Cavy Slave
Pro: They don't pee in your shoes when they are mad at you.

Cons: They do pee anywhere else, so you can't really let them sleep with you on the bed.

Last edited:

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Pro: they make good pets for children as long as parents supervise and help out, piggy-proofing is easy compared to dog/cat/rabbit proofing, a lot of piggy toys can be homemade

Con: they must be treated by an exotic vet, they need fresh veggies so you have to go to the grocery pretty often, bedding can get expensive, they can't really be littertrained

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Bedding is not expensive if you use fleece compared to carefresh, shavings. They can be litter trained.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I have had cats, dogs,gerbils, and guinea pigs and I must say that guinea pigs are my favorite pet. They are as affectionate as any dog or cat I have ever seen, have amazing personalities and can entertain themselves, yet let you know when they want or need your attention. (which I find a pleasure to give them!) They don't talk back even if they do get a bit fresh when they don't want to be bothered, but then they make up with kisses and purrs and then I just melt. I find the fact they they are a bit more difficult to care for makes them even more intruiging. No mundane foods for the piggies. WE NEED C! No ordinary vets for our piggies. Only one trained in exotics will do. I love every aspect. I can't imagine ever not having piggies again. So what if I can't take a vacation. Don't want to without my Cujo.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I've kept guinea pigs all my life along with gerbils, dwarf hamsters, and duprasi. I like the others for how little waste they have which only requires about monthly cage cleaning and even then I won't find an actual wet spot in their cage. They aren't likely to pee on you, your bed, your floor, or those clothes you forgot to pick up. Hamsters and gerbils need a much much smaller cage which also means less bedding, a less involved diet, and they are generally quieter than a guinea pig. My dwarf hamsters and gerbils also beg to be picked up and don't run off like is common in guinea pigs although many pigs learn to sit still and enjoy being picked up. Some even climb up on your hand like my gerbils and hamsters but it's less likely.
Guinea pigs require more time, space, and money than most other small pets I know, but they make up for it in intelligence and great personalities. Most will enjoy cuddling with you and bandit is often stretched out on the bed watching movies with me. Snickers likes to lay in the floor pen and watch the fish tank. They learn your footsteps as well as the fridge door on the other end of the house and will greet you with excited wheeks when you step in the room. Some can be completely litter trained and I've had at least 2 learn their name and to come when called. They won't get lost for days on end if you let them run around and they like to interact with you some instead of heading off on an adventure at the first chance like my gerbils used to. My boyfriend describes guinea pigs more like small dogs than rodents.

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
Pros: Small, compact and always adorable! Friendly, and I find rather easy to feed since I always have loads of veggies around the house that used to get spoiled often. They go ( this could be a con...) " Wheek! Wheek! Wheek!" instead of an ear piercing yelp or bark. When someone comes to the door they don't flip out like a dog/cat would. Their poops are so much more delightful to clean up compared to big smelly dog poos. Cheaper (sometimes) to take to the vet. You can make cute cozies. Really the list could go on and on...

Cons: Oh do I hate cleaning the cages. My piggies don't make great lap pets all the time. They pee and poo anytime, anywhere. You can't play catch with a guinea pig. You can't walk a guinea pig ( I do love walking dogs). Bedding can get pricey, since I prefer to use bedding. Hay can get messy. I can't let my pigs outside since last time a bunch of cats began sneaking up behind me and terrified my little ones. I can't make sweaters for piggies!! :(( I love seeing a small dog in a sweater, I think it's adorable! >.< Not really many other complaints after that.

lampy

Cavy Slave
thanks all this has helped my convinced mum & dad,*wince* to get me a guinea pig(s)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.