Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Fleece underbedding

CallMeBricks

Cavy Slave
I am currently debating bedding ideas. I was thinking of switching to fleece but the person who owns the washer and dryer I use will not allow me to wash anything that is what they consider "urine soaked". So layers of towels won't work for me.

I formerly used woody pet for my horses and I love it. It smells good, absorbs a ton, and is inexpensive if maintained properly. I have always started it as pellets and let the urine activate it, then it expands into a sawdust. To clean I just remove the poops and any red spots (the bedding turns red once it has absorbed too much) and mix together the pellets and sawdust. Unfortunately, it is too hard to remove the poops without removing a lot of the good bedding.

My question is could you combine the two mentioned above??? I would put an underlayer of the pellets and a layer of fleece on top. The top layer would wick away the urine and the woody pet would absorb it. The poops would then stay on top and be easily removable. I realize the fleec would still need to be washed, but i think I could get away with it this way. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
This may work, but you may also find that the sawdust will stick to the fleece. You'd just need to shake it out extra hard. Another option is newspaper; if I were you I'd do a bottom layer of pellets, a layer of newspaper on top of that [maybe one or two sheets] and then the fleece.

Oliversnana

Cavy Gazer
Hey CallMeBricks,
I think that this pellet idea sounds like a wonderful idea. The pellets, you mentioned "woody pet" are they sold at feed stores? Where I live the we have feed stores :) rather than the very unpopular pet stores.

This may work, but you may also find that the sawdust will stick to the fleece. You'd just need to shake it out extra hard.

You may try using a stiff bristle brush or small broom. The stiffer the bristle the more effective in removing fine fiber materials from the fleece.

CallMeBricks

Cavy Slave
Yes woody pet is sold at most feed stores or farm and tractor stores. They retail for about $4-5 for a 30 lb bag.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
You could also use puppy pads. They are more expensive, but disposable, and can be used under fleece. (Alternately, you can use adult incontinence bed guards/pads... same type of thing.)

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
You could also use puppy pads. They are more expensive, but disposable, and can be used under fleece. (Alternately, you can use adult incontinence bed guards/pads... same type of thing.)

Most puppy pads aren't biodegradable, though, and they aren't NEARLY as absorbent as wood pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.