Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Please do what you can to help stop the cruel Canadian seal hunt

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Visit the above link to learn all about what is going on, and how you can help stop the needless slaughtering and beating of innocent harp seals.

I feel that as citizens of Canada itself, you guys have the most potential influence on your local government and whatnot to convince them to put a permanent end to the seal hunts.

If you disagree and think that the seal hunts need not be banned, then you need not post/say anything here, at all.

Thanks in advance!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Thanks for posting this sophistacavy. :)

To everyone else - there's a pledge on the website you can sign and you don't have to live in Canada to do so and it just takes a second to fill out the info, so please take a moment to do it.

There's also lots of great info on who to contact and how to get this terrible practice outlawed.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Your welcome! ;) Hopefully, this will help tremendously. I don't know what its going to take to stop this barbaric behavior going on out there, but this is a great way for everyone to help.

And I don't know why I got a (-1) vote either......just in case: I mean no offense to Canadians, I think thats why I got a -1, but why should I worry about it L0L.
If you don't think there is something shamefull about this, then.....karma will come back to bite ya someday! :)

P.S.: If this were happening in the U.S., it wouldn't be any more or less shameful than it happening in Canada. It is also happening in Nova Scotia, which I don't know if that place is related to Canada or not.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Nova Scotia is a province of Canada. I for one live in the Canadian Maritimes (PEI in fact). I also grew up in Northern Ontario where hunting is a way of life.

I for one don't like the seal hunt. But I was wondering, and I am in no way trying to be rude or offending anyone but how much have people acutally done their research or really thought about this topic? People of all different types of countries talk about how bad it is and such, but no one really cares about the facts. There are things that are just as bad as seal hunting if not worse. People use Arrows and Guns and other weapons to kill other animals, things that have a greater chance of only sevrely wounding the animal and letting them suffer more. So whats so different about clubs?
I also know that they mostly kill young pups, but how much more different then that of killing a calf to make veal? The calves at the factory even have it worse then the seal, they live in tight, cramped spaces and then get shipped around and then off to die. At least the seals are free before they are killed. Then their also some of the corrupt places that feed all kinds of chemicals to the calves. The seals don't have to eat that junk.

I just wanted to point out that the seal hunt is no different the any other hunt. The factories are even worse. I'm just a little sick of people going after that one thing when it's only a faction of something else. I come from a family that has hunted for generation after generation and century after century, and it's all the same. I also eat meat. I'm not proud of all that but at least I know what goes on. Has anyone ever researched how beavers are killed? Have you seem any of the traps they use for of wild game? It will disgust you. Maybe you could also try reseaching some of the things that come from Asia, their even worse in some countries? Yet, everyone still picks on us Canadians for one of the many things we do. Things we've done for years. Americans, Europeans, and just about every other country have flaws too. All in all, why pick on such a little cause when it's only part of something bigger? If you want to help a cause, take it head on not from the side.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I just re-read that, sorry if it sounded rude, it's just boring listening to the smae complaints over and over again. I just wanted it to be geniune that there is something bigger out there to fight for and this is only a little peice of it.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I'm not picking on Canadians. If this were happening anywhere else, even where I live here in the USA, I still wouldn't be picking on anybody.

I personally do not agree with hunting as a "sport" one bit, but I think that seals don't have to be killed. People don't need seals for anything, I'm sure there are more than a few alternatives. People can wear vegan clothes, and eat more common meats besides seal meat. I think the notion of veal is gross, and I personally do not eat veal, even though I do eat meat. I see no reason for people to eat veal and support that sector of the beef industry, when they can just as easily eat the more commonly available and traditional meats like plain old beef.

I don't understand what is meant by taking this cause head on instead of from the side....this is the cause, you can't lump them all together. I mean, you can if you want to, but I prefer to seperate things and work on them individually...seal hunting is an issue, but which bigger issue are you suggesting it is part of?

I see it as seals are wild animals, and you just don't do that to wild creatures. Wild animals and domestic animals deserve equal rights and welfare protection. Slaughter of domestic animals has alot of thought put into it as to the most "humane" method possible, so, does this seal hunting get as much thought and scientific evidence possible put into it that showed that this method of killing them is the most "humane"?

And what apparently much bigger cause is this a part of, that makes this seal hunting look so small and unimportant? Maybe you're just used to it because its part of your culture, and you maybe grew up with it. Its nothing new or surprising to you.
I'll accept that if you truly feel people are making a big fuss over nothing, then I see your point.

For example, in some country in south america or someplace around there, there is a tribe of people who are canibals, in that they eat the nutritious marrow of human bones. We cannot say that there is something or anything wrong with that, because we should be respectful of other people's cultures. If anybody wants to try to stop those people from eating humane bone marrow, than go ahead, but they probably think that some stuff that we "normal" people do is pretty screwed up too.

Seal hunting is pointless. The way I see it, it's just a bunch of people who need to make a living, and possibly even enjoy doing it, like it's a sport. Why else do they do this, if there is no justifiable reason to? Its not like everyone is going to freeze or starve to death, or die of not being fashionable, if seal hunting is eliminated. Maybe its one part of something bigger that I happen to care more about than whatever the bigger picture is.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I just re-read that, sorry if it sounded rude, it's just boring listening to the smae complaints over and over again. I just wanted it to be geniune that there is something bigger out there to fight for and this is only a little peice of it.

I posted all that way after you posted this, sorry.

EDIT: I just realized after re reading what I posted, that I sound rude also. I didn't mean to sound rude either. :guilty:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
There are things that are just as bad as seal hunting if not worse.
And honestly, I think all of those things should be banned as well. If there's a way to bring attention to ALL of those things, I'm for it, and don't think that the seal hunt should be given any less attention simply because it's something that a lot of people are aware of.

People use Arrows and Guns and other weapons to kill other animals, things that have a greater chance of only sevrely wounding the animal and letting them suffer more. So whats so different about clubs?
What weapon has a greater chance of "only severely wounding" an animal than a club?

At least the seals are free before they are killed.
That makes hunting them down and clubbing them mercilessly all right somehow?

Has anyone ever researched how beavers are killed? Have you seem any of the traps they use for of wild game? It will disgust you. Maybe you could also try reseaching some of the things that come from Asia, their even worse in some countries?
You're right, all those things are heinous and unnecessarily cruel. None of those things, though, makes what happens to the seals any less of an atrocity.

All in all, why pick on such a little cause when it's only part of something bigger?
Because the "size" of the cause doesn't make a bit of difference when it comes to innocent animals that are suffering for nothing more than their fur.

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
I agree, there is reason to kill animals like that.
I personally know a few people who think that deer hunting as well as hunting other animals is "population control". I believe that if there is a serious overpopulation problem that absolutely needs human intervention, then the animals should be sedated and humanely put to sleep...not suddenly shot in the neck or chest to bleed to death.
All hunting for any reason is a primitive practice, and I believe it is time for the human race to wake up to the 21st century.
I have heard the arguments regarding the fact that some people make a living this way. Well, my response to that is that in this day and age, so to speak, there are plenty of options if you go looking for them. For example, I visited the Sea Turtle Rescue in South Padre Island last summer and learned that the people in Mexico who used to make their living from harvesting and selling sea turtle eggs as "aphrodisiacs", now make cute handbags and other accessories from plastic bags that wash up on the beach. They had them for sale at the rescue, and they were very cute. I was very surprised to learn they were made out of plastic bags. And these people make just as good of a living as they were selling the eggs.
Change is possible!

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
What I meant by a bigger cause was hunting wild game in general. Most wild animals such as Beavers, Moose, Elk, Deer, Cougars, Lynx, and the list goes on is getting harder and harder to find, because of hunting. Seal clubbing falls under that exact catagory, no if's and's or but's. It is called the "Seal Hunt".

As for weapons, Guns, Arrows, knives and so on, you have a much greater chance of missing with those sorts of things. Your from a far away distance, trying to hit a target that can move at any given time it wants. You miss, you my hit the animal, but it's wounded. It's in pain. Arrows are the worst for this. I've seen this too many times when I as younger. I've been there and I'm definetly not proud of it. I had gotten into a fight with my father and he was trying to prove some stupid point. At least with a club, your closer up and you deliver the blow from right behind the poor thing. Still doesnt make it right still, but it's a tad bit more humane. A normal shotgun bullet is no longer then a pinky finger.

I know you mean no harm to use Canadian's, it just hard when you hear all the European's go on about us and the "hunt". I'm sorry but I find some of them quite hypocritical when they call us out over it, yet my grandfather, who sadly is a trapper, says he sells his furs over in Europe and some can go for big money. I will say though, that he uses every single bit of the animals that he kills, bones and all. He also never catches more then the government set limit. But I know it still doesnt make things right. I wish my family never did it at all.

I hope that clears it up some, I do apologize for that. I just think it's only part of an issue that needs to be dealt with as a whole (hence "take is head on").

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I just want to add that I agree that the seal hunt should be banned! All other hunting too! :)

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I just want to add that I agree that the seal hunt should be banned! All other hunting too! :)

Oh my gosh, amen sister. I don't see how people can be entertained by standing there watching some animal suffer to death.......kind of sadistic if you ask me.

Have you guys seen that video on the HSUS's webpage about their anti-fur/skin campaign? It's the video that is at the bottom of the page (I think), and when you look at it, it has a face of one of those raccoon dogs on it. Y'all should go check it out, but PLEASE be warned: it is VERY graphic!!!! Totally disgusting. I didn't know whether to throw up, cry, be angry, or what!! I felt like all three at once. *shudder*
I honestly could not believe what I was seeing. I'm just warning you guys, I'm definetely not exaggerating at all.

Let me know if any of y'all watch it. Its incredible.

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
Let me know if any of y'all watch it. Its incredible.

I watched it... and even after watching Earthlings it still breaks my heart to think that someone could use their own two hands and do such a thing.
Thanks for posting the links.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I just watched it....oh my god....Sophitacavi, I think your words basically sums it up, it such a mixed feeling with a very overwhelming terror. How can people do this? Those animals were alive! My heart shattered into a million peices watching that, and I've seen some pretty bothersome things growing up with a hunting family. At least I know the animals they killed are dead. Those people are not in their right minds, they can't be! No person in a right mind frame would do that right? And they did it right on the street! For everyone to see! Dear god, I'm disgusted...

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Amsley264 & Banjosnotbombs-- I feel totally the same way you do. It's just awful. I don't understand why they can't kill them, and then skin them. It must have something to do with quality or time or something dumb like that.

Hey, does anyone know if those raccoon dogs are adoptable? They are domesticated, right? I wonder where to go to find out if they are legal as animal companions here in the States. I mean, people have wolf hybrids with varying levels of pure wolf in them, and those dogs can be dangerous, so I don't see why a raccoon dog would be illegal if wolf hybrids aren't (in most places they aren't here in the States).
I would seriously fly over to where ever that is, like people who adopt babies from foreign countries have to fly to the country to pick them up, and I would rescue one of those poor dogs, and bring it back here to live with me. Hmmmm....I'm going to have to do some more research on this...

Banjos--What is Earthlings? I'm going to google it.

EDIT: I just found a wikipedia thing on raccoon dogs, and they're actually a wild animal, so I don't think I could rescue one from the fur/skin places like the one shown on that video....I don't know if that would be considered rescuing.....I'm going to research them more..

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Amsley264 & Banjosnotbombs-- I feel totally the same way you do. It's just awful. I don't understand why they can't kill them, and then skin them. It must have something to do with quality or time or something dumb like that.

Hey, does anyone know if those raccoon dogs are adoptable? They are domesticated, right? I wonder where to go to find out if they are legal as animal companions here in the States. I mean, people have wolf hybrids with varying levels of pure wolf in them, and those dogs can be dangerous, so I don't see why a raccoon dog would be illegal if wolf hybrids aren't (in most places they aren't here in the States).
I would seriously fly over to where ever that is, like people who adopt babies from foreign countries have to fly to the country to pick them up, and I would rescue one of those poor dogs, and bring it back here to live with me. Hmmmm....I'm going to have to do some more research on this...

Banjos--What is Earthlings? I'm going to google it.

EDIT: I just found a wikipedia thing on raccoon dogs, and they're actually a wild animal, so I don't think I could rescue one from the fur/skin places like the one shown on that video....I don't know if that would be considered rescuing.....I'm going to research them more..

Well, it seems like these are completely wild creatures, so no one can keep them as a companion animal. So, I would have to have someplace to go with one if I rescued it, and then why just one? What about all of them, you know?
So, I guess there really is nothing I can do to help in terms of rescuing them....oh well.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Well here, I know that some people (good ol' country folk) who find abandon baby racoons keep them as pets (for a while at least, and I have no clue if it's even legal lol), so I can't see why not, as long as you keep it on the down-low and your only doing it becuase the animal can't survive on i's own or something along those lines. By any means, don't it if happens at any given time that it puts you in danger or harms way. Growing up, my uncle, who is a conservation office in Ontario will bring abandoned or hurt animals over to my grandfather to take care of them, but my grandfather has an extensive knowledge about them. He does hunt, but he also has a fond respect for them too. We had a pet fox growing up with my grandparents because it's mother was sadly, roadkill, while that pup was left to die. It was pretty neat.

Sad to hear the hunt starts soon. The ice is however melting fairly quickly so maybe they will call this years hunt off! That would be great. My father was actually telling me a woman and her daughter in Navo Scotia (I think that's were it happened) were out on some quad-type comtraption the other day and fell through the ice and drowned because they couldnt get the seatbelts off. The's horrble it happened, but it gives a little hope the ice won't hold this year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.