Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Weird Guinea Pig reaction to fleece

Squeeks

Cavy Slave
OK so we got our new C&C cage set up. Towels on the bottom. Store bought (Walmart) fleece on top (yes it's been washed and dried 3 times). We have a litter box that gets about 50%+ of the poops (yeah!) and pea does seem to be wicking thru to the towels. However I expected a different reaction from Squeeks. He appears to be either OVERWHELMED or just plain exhausted. He is spending his entire day inside his igloo, almost like he is hiding like when he first came home. He isn't talking to us like he was, or even coming out to greet us. He doesn't appear to be eating AS MUCH but he is eating and drinking. Now it is possible that he is roaming his new abundantly sized cage at night while we are sleeping and completely exhausting himself. He is healthy because he just saw the vet last week. I'm beginning to wonder if he dislikes the fleece. Floor time has been kind of quiet too however yesterday when we were cleaning the new cage we took the grids, set them aside on the rug with a towl or two put him in to contain him while our attention was diverted and he went crazy...running so fast and popcorning...had never seen him expend this much energy before and was expecting to see this in his new cage set up. Almost like he preferred the carpetting to the fleece???? OK so I'm not putting carpetting down...it's been a week...I think he should be use to it by now...anybody else have cavey's that take a while to adjust?:melodrama

claire

Cavy Slave
Depending on what kind of cage he was in before, he's most likely intimidated by the size of the cage and the openness just now. My pigs spent most of their first week sitting in the litter/kitchen area of their C&C as it's quite enclosed there and the bedding would feel familiar to them. If it had been left to my shyer piggy, he'd probably still be sitting there, but the braver one encouraged him to explore. Give him another week or so and I'm sure he'll get used to it. Leaving veggie treats in different parts of the cage may help you determine whether he's wandering when you're not around and encourage him to be brave.

Squeeks

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I like the vegie treats approach to coax him out. We're trying to expand so we can also "carefully", in time, add a friend for him. His old cage was very small so we're doing the right thing now but clearly not what he's use to.

claire

Cavy Slave
He'll get the hang of it soon enough. ;)

Squeeks

Cavy Slave
Looks like a few vegie snacks strewn throughout his cage was all he needed. Today is a new day! Now I have a different problem, since he is no longer terrified and doing some investigating, he's figured out how to burrow under the fleece. So now I have to figure out how to clip it down. If it's not one thing it's another. lol Just one more thing to figure out how to "outsmart" our Squeeks!:love:

claire

Cavy Slave
:lol: Now he'll find all sorts of mischief to keep you on your toes!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You can either place the fleece over the sides of the coroplast and clip it to the grids, or you can velcro it down, or you can place heavier objects around the sides so it's harder to get under. I'm glad he likes it now!

tidus1

Cavy Slave
could carpet actually be used for the guinea pigs? like a soft kind. i think it would be easier to clean to.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I think carpet would smell very quickly. Have you read the sticky on the fleece project? That explains how it works and how to clean it.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
We've had the same type of reaction from several of our rescues who were used to living on wood chips in cramped cages.

It took a little while (not too long, though) for some of them to get used to the soft fleece, the bigger cage, the wonderful good food, and the constant love and affection.

After they got used to it...it was pure happiness!

Squeeks

Cavy Slave
Well it took a while but Squeeks appears to be back to his old self. Guess he's just not quick to appreciate change! We've adjusted to the fleece, the new cage and how to care for just fine. And now Squeeks is reaping the benefits.

Mumu is my pig

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.