Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers Securing the top?

Zchanning

Cavy Slave
The way my projects usually go, I get started, think all's going just peachy, realize I have made some massive and incredibly stupid error, find some way to fix said error, and then I usually end up happy with the result. Well that's the story of the second C&C cage I've made which I just finished. (I use that word loosely!)

When I made it, I was thinking I'd make the top removeable and that way the bottom would be really easy to clean. So I finished the top and then realized uh... so how am I supposed to secure this thing? I was thinking of using some thick ribbon or fabric strips and I'd just untie it whenever I needed to clean the bottom, but that seems like a bit of a pain too. Any ideas? I'm just looking for something that will hold the top level on tightly, that can be easilly removed but without compromising safety. I made the top level slightly larger than the bottom level and there is some support on the bottom, but the whole mess it just a little flimsier than I'd like. Unable to post pics right now because I still haven't found that camera...

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Maybe the hooks that hikers use (people put them on their key rings too), or colored pipe cleaners, latch like what is on a dog leash. That is all I can think of right now as my brain has already went to bed! If I think of anymore I will post them. Hope these help.

Zchanning

Cavy Slave
My husband suggested the clippy thingies too this morning, I think that sounds perfect. I may also reinforce it with some bungie cables. Will that be secure enough though? I know it won't be quite as sturdy as cable tying the whole mess...

lissie

Cavy Slave
How about adding wooden support to the top? You can lock it in place with binder clips.
I bought 1 3/8" x 1 3/8" x 7' to support my upper level, it works great. You don't even have to drill into the wood, just slide it into the hole in the grids.
You can probably use 2 of those wood and rest the top on the two, then lock it in place.
You can see the wood in this pic.
Picture_0062.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.