Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lilith has her babies! I have questions!

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
Hi! She had three adorable little babies while I was asleep. I woke up and there they were, bright eyed and squirming about. So, do I let mother nature take its course? I mean I put extra vegetables and hay and another water bottle in there, as well as a more shallow food dish, but when will they start eating solids like that? I couldn't find Cavy Performance locally so I ordered some online, but it hasn't arrived yet. Will they be ok to eat Cavy Cuisine for now? I'm so excited, but I want them to be happy and healthy. Please help!!! :yawn:

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
They can eat solids within a couple hours but they will still need mommy's milk.

You can hold them and cuddle them right now...how could u not!

They'll be okay without the cavy performance.

By the way, CONGRATS! You better get some pictures up! ;)

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
Oh I did, very gently :p Um, when can I tell the sex? >_< I tried to sex them earlier but I don't really know what I'm looking for *facepalm*

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
Ok I'll check each day and see if I can tell from the information you have given me. When should I name them!? XD Kind of hard to tell now haha

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
Oh! Also! Their cage has a railed (sides are lined) ramp from the bottom to the top floor. When should I introduce the babies to the top? That is usually the dining area but I moved most of the stuff downstairs for now.

claire

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! So there were 3, not 2? I just can't wait for the pigtures... ;)

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
Three! I could have swore it was only two, I guess I was wrong :) Two are fluffy like her and one is smooth. I'm guessing the male that boinked her was a smoothie :p they are sooooo precious !!!! Seriously though, when will it be safe for them to venture to the top floor via the lined ramp?

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
Oh My Goodness.....There were four. One was hiding in the towel. He/she was very lively when I picked them up. They look nothing like mommy though!

Corinne

Cavy Slave
Pigtures PLEASE!

claire

Cavy Slave
4? Wow! Lilith has done very well. Make sure you spoil her.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Aww Congrats! It's so exciting to find them for the first time lol. I was dancing around my kitchen when mine came. For the first week so so, they mostly drink from their mother and pick at the food a bit. It's absolutely hilarious watching them try to figure out the water bottle! It's usually easiest to sex them at 3 weeks, but when we adopted our second set, we figured it out earlier becasue we had the experience from the first time. All you have to do it is push a little ever so slightly above their yoo-hoos and if it's a boy, they have this little pink thing grow out! Girls do nothing lol. For the next while now you'll have a pig train around you cage! They love to follow mommy. Anyways, enjoy your new family and Congrats once again!

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
I will take some pigtures soon I promise! I just want to make sure they are settled in first. God this has been such a weird day. Last night my hamster died of old age, and this morning I wake up to find a bundle of trouble. :melodrama

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
I do have an odd question though. Um, she only has two nipples. Two nipple and four babies. Will that be a problem for the little ones? And how do mommy guinea pigs normally lay down for nursing? She has not laid on her side at all. Do they get up under her?

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I think they'll be fine taking turns nursing, just be sure to feed Mommy extra well, and provide unlimited pellets for her to eat while she continues to nurse. And of course, make sure she gets 2 cups of leafy greens a day, etc etc you know the deal. :) And maybe try to find some alfalfa hay from Oxbow or KM's to provide her mixed in with her regular grass hay.
Also, I am not sure how they nurse. She probably won't really lay completely on one side like a hog sow would, but maybe. I don't know! ;)

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
It'll probably take you a few days before you could accurately sex them, because their parts are very small. You don't have to worry much right yet, though, anyway, but be sure not to delay. They'll be mature when they're 3 weeks old, but if you see any humping, you'll have to separate the males from the females ASAP. Be sure mama-pig gets plenty of food, because the babies could wear her out easily, especially since she didn't only have one or two.

Useful GuineaLynx pages:
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

She probably won't lie on her side for nursing.

madakri

Cavy Slave
I do have an odd question though. Um, she only has two nipples. Two nipple and four babies. Will that be a problem for the little ones? And how do mommy guinea pigs normally lay down for nursing? She has not laid on her side at all. Do they get up under her?

Take a look at my picture album, it will give you some answers, and if you have anymore questions, let me know. :heart:

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
No, they dont lay on their sides to nurse, they arch their back a bit and the babies go under her. All guinea pigs have only 2 nipples, so the babies do take turns. Just let her do her thing and everything should be fine. I took took Pixie after she had her babies to the vet a few days after they were born to make sure everything was ok, but it's not necessary. Remember also that you may have to separate before the 3 weeks. Sometimes it can be as early as 2 or 2 1/2 depending on how long the boys (if any) mature. Both my 2 boys that I adopted matured after 2 weeks so they are now separated as of this afternoon from my girlies.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Actually 21 days is the best time to separate the males. Females can stay with the mom. Good luck with the babies!

clotho

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the little ones!! You will find that two of the babies will get more milk because they are bigger. The two smaller ones may benefit from a little alone time with Mom. When my girl Cookie had three babies, I just made sure I took the largest baby off and helped the runt get in there and nurse a few times a day and that really seemed to help. They will eat solid foods on their own pretty much from day 1 though so don't worry too much.

You should get yourself a good digital scale that weighs in grams if you don't have one already. A kitchen scale works great. Then weigh the babies and Mom every day around the same time and keep track of the weights. The babies should gain weight and that is how you will know they are thriving.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.