Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives to Coroplast

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
I am wondering if there are any alternatives to coroplast. I know that linoleum is one. Are acrylic sheets also an alternative? I found some in the basement and want to know if they would work. On the package they say that they are super easy to cut to size. They are completely see through, so my pig could see the room that he is in.
If you know of anymore, please post them on this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Well, I just use wood on the bottom of my cage, a plastic shower curtain so that the wood doesn't get wet, and the towels and fleece on top of everything. On my third level I have a plastic foam-filled yoga mat and plexi-glass on the bottom. These are good alternatives, but i'm looking for better ones like you. We could both benefit from this thread.

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your suggestions. I would really like to know if the acrylic stuff works because we could save lots of money if it does.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Currently, I use old sheets and fleece, double folded for the base of their pen. However, when I relocate my boys to the garage for the Spring and Summer months, I have several options I'm considering, First, my husband suggested commercial grade carpet. You may have seen them at entrance ways in stores and buisnesses. He's says that I can lay it on the base of the cage and remove it and hose it down once a week to clean. Or second, buy wall board from the hardware store since I can't reasonably priced coroplat and us this instead then just lay fleece overtop or place shavings. Haven't decided yet.

claire

Cavy Slave
I'd personally be worried about the carpet smelling after a few weeks. Maybe put a shower curtain over it and then their usual sheets and fleece?

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Currently, I use old sheets and fleece, double folded for the base of their pen. However, when I relocate my boys to the garage for the Spring and Summer months, I have several options I'm considering, First, my husband suggested commercial grade carpet. You may have seen them at entrance ways in stores and buisnesses. He's says that I can lay it on the base of the cage and remove it and hose it down once a week to clean. Or second, buy wall board from the hardware store since I can't reasonably priced coroplat and us this instead then just lay fleece overtop or place shavings. Haven't decided yet.

Commercial grade carpet sounds good. I've been thinking of adding carpet to the third floor but was unsure about it. Is commercial grade really that easy to clean? Does it take a long tome to dry? Do you know if it smalls after a while?

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
I asked my dad about the acrylic stuff. He said it would work, but he makes trophy cases with them, and that he didn't want Sam to use the bathroom on something that expensive.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Coroplast isn't all that expensive, it's very durable and will last for many months. Usually a 4'x8' sheet of coro costs around $20-25.

It's not too hard to cut either. Just remember to measure at least twice.

Corinne

Cavy Slave
Are you far from St. Johns? There's a Home Depot there and they carry coroplast.

I got mine from Home Depot.

hippiechick

Cavy Slave
St. John's is Newfoundland, St John is New Brunswick :p
thought I'd point it out... there HAS to be a place with corroplast... are you sure you've looked everywhere, search sign shops in new brunswick... or look up signs in the yellow pages.

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
I'm from Saint John, not Saint John's. I live in NB.

Also I have checked on every website that I can find, and can't find any coroplast anywhere. None of the stores carry linoleum either.

Corinne

Cavy Slave
Sorry I spelt it wrong. I'm from the wrong end of Canada. Must be a great pet peeve on your end!

Home Depot

SAINT JOHN
55 Depot Court
Saint John, NB E2J 5E2
(506) 632-9440
STORE HOURS
M-F 8AM-9PM
SAT 8AM-9PM
SUN 12PM-5PM

This is what is listed on the Home Depot website.
Call and ask if they have coroplast. You just might get lucky. They are not likely to have it on their website.

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much.

Corinne

Cavy Slave
Have you had any success with Home Depot?

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
We were actually going to go there in a couple of days, so I will just wait and ask then.

melpig

Cavy Slave
I'm in Canada and found coroplast at Home Depot in the Door Department. No one knew it as 'coroplast'. But when I said, 'corrugated plastic sheets' they knew what I meant. It is sold in various sizes along with plexiglass type panels.

There are 24", 48", and 96" lengths. The biggest ones are the best deal but you may need to bring a box cutter to cut it down to size to fit in your car. This requires planning out what lengths you'll need ahead of time.

I also noticed something that sounds like coroplast advertised at Michael's (craft store) this week. They sell is for use for science project display boards. Staff there may know it as 'corrugated plastic sign board'.

I had the same name problem when I was shopping for cage cubes. Staff knew them as 'shelving grids' and 'shelf panels', and they seem to vary between storage, household, and laundry departments in the various stores. If you can, bring a photo of what you're looking for to the store and staff may have an easier time knowing what you're looking for. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.