Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size advice for dividing

rosins_mom

Cavy Slave
I give up, finally. I'm going to split up my two boars into two cages.
They've been getting along alright most of the time, but with rather frequent arguments (rumble strutting, etc). They don't like my boyfriend and act out when he's around, so i started splitting them up when he spends the night and housing one in the small cage I keep around for travel.
Then today things got worse. I was on the phone with my mom during playtime, and they were both trying to find nap space under a blanket next to me. I wasn't paying attention, and that exploded into a big fight. Between the two of them there's one minor cut (though on a paw so of course I'm worried)...but I've got a huge gouge on my hand where I got bit breaking them up. (shared more for sympathy than anything else...here's the real post)
I don't want to have to worry about a repetition of that fight when I'm not there to break it up. (currently the one with the cut foot is in the smaller cage where he's easier to take care of and so I don't have to worry about fights) I'm looking for advice about what's the best way to do this. They were living is a 2x4 with a 2x1 second story. I could expand that out to a 3x4 and split down the middle to two 3x2s side by side. Or I could make a vertical stack of the two cages, and figure out if/how to fit a second floor for each boy. What's your experience with logistics, and their happiness? Will they like having the shared wall of side by side cages? Is something that big a total pain to clean? Will they mind if I stake the two cages? I feel like it'd be sad to the the pig on the bottom of the stack, and I wouldn't want to put someone on the ground so the stack would end up really tall if I gave either a second floor. I'm leaning towards putting the two cages side by side, even though that'd look absurd in my smallish bedroom, but I'm interested to here other suggestions. If there's another post on this, just post me a link and I'll go check that out.
Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.