Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi from Florida :]

Allyson

Cavy Slave
Hi! My name is Allyson, and I just adopted 2 little boys from Petco... I do not like the fact they came from there, but I checked all rescue groups, petfinder, and craigslist in my area and none of them had piggies for adoption (one of the rescue groups closed and the other was "taking a break"..). I checked all my other pet stores in the area to see what their piggies looked like before adopting from Petco... Petco's looked the healthiest (I checked Petsmart, Petland, Incredible Pets, and Petsupermarket). I named my little piggies Oliver and Rueben. :]

I used to own piggies back when I was younger (around 13? or so.. I am 21 now) and looking back I feel so bad for them!! I was so unknowledgeable in piggy care, that I had 2 piggies living in a 2x2 cage :[ I miss them a lot and wish I had taken better care of them.

I am currently building a 2x6 C&C cage (so glad I found this website!!) for my piggies and it's almost done! I am going to get the coroplast Monday and then I will be good to go :]

I am going to do my best to spoil Ollie and Ruru so that they have a happy life... they are still a little spooky with me (only had them two days) but Ollie has started to eat a little bit out of my hand!

I have one concern and was hoping someone would answer for me, Ollie has a bald spot behind one of his ears, the rest of him and Ruru seem fine except for that one spot... is that normal/okay? Could it just be from scratching? I'll try to post pics up when I get home (I am at work).

pennykit&amanda

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

Just to clarify, you didn't adopt, you bought. And it's normal for guinea pigs have bald spots behind their ears. But if it's big, then I would be concerned.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Yeah, the bald spots are normal. My piggies have them too. Oh, and i'm from Florida too! A lot of people on here are. :eye-poppi

I like the name 'Oliver' and 'Reuben' reminds me of that guy who one AI one year. Make sure to post pics of your piggies so we can see how pretty they are! lol

madakri

Cavy Slave
:love:Welcome Allyson, I as well am new here and a new GP mom as of October, 08. Unfortunately, I as well bought my two first piggies at a pet store. I bougth him because I felt very sad for him seeing him all alone in a cage when I new I could give him a better home. I bought my second in another store and now, by accident, I have six. They told me I could not pare up two males because they would fight, so I ended up getiing a girl. My girl had babies on January 19th, 08 and it was trully a nightmare for me, being I was so inexperienced. I visited every known site to better educate myself, stayed up most nights watching her, praying she would be ok, carried her most of the day and night to let her know how much I love her and to, somehow, let her know how sorry I was she got pregnant and even lost many days of work because I was so scared, worried and depressed. Thank God all was ok and I was able to monitor and help her throughout her delivery. So can see my GP family in my profile.
As to the bald spot behind the ears, it's is very normal. All of mine have it and I have read it's normal. However, if they get any bald spots anywhere else, then you should be concerned and they need to be taking to the vet, is my best advice. Good luck to you and your new babies.:)
PS. I as well live in Florida, what city do you live in?

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Me too, I bought my two from a pet store but I joined this forum the day after I got Carly and I really didn't want to take her back so I didn't. But now she has a good life. Veggies and fruits and all that.

Oh, where are my manners. Welcome to GPC. My guinea pig Sandy has bald spots behind her ears but they aren't big. I figured out that they were normal so.....If you need to learn about what veggies/fruits to feed/not to feed them then check the diet and nutrion fourm and click on the guinea pig nurtriutions forum thing and then click on the link and read the ones in the colors.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm new too. My grey and white roan, Violet has bald spots and I worried about mites. But, she looks really good now.

Allyson

Cavy Slave
Here are my piggies! My webcam takes bad pictures, I will have to get out the digital camera later..

The one on the left is Rueben and the right one is Oliver.

I JUST took this, currently trying to get them to eat their veggies but they are chirping to each other instead. :melodrama

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
They are adorable!

Welcome to GPC.

Yupp, bald spots are find as long as they aren't too large.

If you ever plan on getting another, don't get one from a petstore. They're often missexed and sick and come from awful places and buying them only supports the breeders. We are very pro-adoption and everyone here would be happy to help you find a nice rescued one. ;)

Well that is if you ever end up getting a third! But trust me, once you fall under their spell, they'll have you begging for a third! LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.