Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New kitten

Sylorna

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
I just got a new kitten this week, and he needs to stay locked in my room while we do a quarenteen period against the other cats. Fortunately I already have a cat proof cage, and he's quickly learning he's not allowed up ontop. However, Willow just about had a heart attack when he decided to (playfully) chase her around via the outside of the cage.
Should I be concerned?
Any hints on how to deal with this problem?
Thanks,
Jess

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just make sure the lid is on securely and the kitten can't get into the cage at all. Congrats on your new addition.

joab97

Cavy Slave
Charlie was abit afraid of my 2 cats atfirst..but now..if they are sitting outside his cage watching,,he just ignores them. He got use to them. The other day I came home from work..and my daughter forgot to shut his cage..my heart was beating a mile a minute..but he was ok..he didnt escape the the cats and dogs never bothered with him. Thank goodness..I started triple checking since then.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem when I first got my pig. Our cat scared him to death. But eventually she realized there's no way she can eat him and doesn't pay as much attention to him anymore. Also, he's realized he's in no danger of being eaten and ignores her much of the time now.

Not sure if your cage is raised off the floor, but it makes it harder for the cat to bother the pig if it is. You can also cover the top of the cage with a towel and things unpleasant to sit on to discourage the cat from sitting on top of the cage when you're not there (or at night) or at least to stop her from putting her paws through the top.

If your cat is really bothering your pig, you can partially cover the cage with a sheet. I cover my cage with a sheet at night (and double check all the flaps are secured!) in case the cat decides to have a piggy chase at 2am.

Sylorna

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. I had thought about the blanket trick, but I was scared that he'd step wrong and get his paw stuck. It seems the interest level is decreasing, and Willow is dealing much better. I think it was that she had never had a cat ontop of her cage before, the elderly cats we presently have mostly just sit on my bed and stare. Chester is getting more interested in his conventional toys as he's starting to settle in (thank heavens)!
Jess

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.