Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rat's Horrible Living Conditions- Need Advice

tamnjo

Cavy Slave
I am not a rattie owner myself and never have been but I do know some things about them. Most of what I know is common sense. But in my science class, there are three tanks. One has a tarantula(TINY tank), the other has fish and frogs and things, but the third has a rat. S/he is in a 10 gallon fish tank with a water bottle, food dish with pellets, a couple wood chews and pine shavings. I am not just talking about how disgusted I am that s/he is in a TINY tank with non-kiln dried pine shavings and little to do, but also I can clearly see that this poor rattie has a terrible mite condition. His/her back is red and covered in scabs and most of his/her coat is missing. I need some advice. I really want to help him/her. I don't have any money and I don't want to seem disrespectful to my sience teacher, but honestly, for a science teacher, he really does't know much about animals.

Thank you and sorry for the long post!

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Inform the teacher that he should not keep animals in such a poor condition. If he is upset about you saying it, tell your principal. If he doesn't care, tell some animal protection agency.

tamnjo

Cavy Slave
Well I don't want to make a huge deal about it. But I wil try to talk to him tomorrow.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Why wouldn't you want to make a huge deal out of it? This poor rat is being neglected and not taken care of correctly. I would say that is cause for causing a bit of commotion to make sure the rat gets taken care of PROPERLY, finally, and the teacher comes to justice for his animal neglect.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The poor rat is miserable. He/she needs to see a vet. He/she needs to be removed from this situation. If the teacher won't help, you need to go over his head. The principal or an animal welfare organization. This is abuse and should be treated as such.

tamnjo

Cavy Slave
Ok I will talk to him today. Who should I call if he won't do anything?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
I would first talk to your teacher. Try to convience him the rat is sick and needs attention. His housing is inappropiate. Maybe he would let you take the rat. If that does not work, the principal. If nothing happens there, your local animal control, Rspca, Humane Society to repeat the abuse.

redd1800

Cavy Slave
how did things go with your teacher?

tamnjo

Cavy Slave
Well good news!

I talked to him today and apparently he "didnt notice" that the rat had mites (thats not the good news part). When I talked to him he was wondering how to treat him and was saying how they have scales in the school and everything. So it sounds like he's wanting to help out the little guy however he can.

So that bring sme to my question, can rats be treated with ivermectin? I have left over horse paste and I was wondering if I could use that? And also if I can, is there a certain formula for calculating how much to give him/her based on his/her weight??

Thanks so much for all your help! Once I'm done with the mites, I'll work on getting a new cage for the little guy :)

tamnjo

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know how I can treat this rat? Can I use the guinea lynx chart of doses?

sludge07

Cavy Slave
Well good news!

I talked to him today and apparently he "didnt notice" that the rat had mites (thats not the good news part). When I talked to him he was wondering how to treat him and was saying how they have scales in the school and everything. So it sounds like he's wanting to help out the little guy however he can.

So that bring sme to my question, can rats be treated with ivermectin? I have left over horse paste and I was wondering if I could use that? And also if I can, is there a certain formula for calculating how much to give him/her based on his/her weight??

Thanks so much for all your help! Once I'm done with the mites, I'll work on getting a new cage for the little guy :)

I believe you can but just a little bit. I use revolution for my rats when they get mites. Hopefully this helps you. Rat & Mouse Gazette: Medical Corner: Drug Usage Chart for Rats Scroll to Ivermectin and it gives some information on how to give it.

I hope the rat recovers from the mites. Also, please tell your teacher to stop using the pine bedding because it can end up killing the rat.

redd1800

Cavy Slave
Check out ratforum.com

they are great for info and creative ideas on rat care

tamnjo

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link! That really helped me alot.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
You could try ratsrule.com also. They have alot of info on there too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.