Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Using Glue? Hot? Wood? Silicone? And on Treating Wood?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Hello :eek:

I searched through the forums here and on GuineaLynx today looking for some answers on glue. Now I am more confused than ever. Here's what I gathered - Please let me know if I have all this right:

> Hot glue is safe to use to attach the coroplast together on the outside, but no where inside the cage where a piggle can eat it.

> Non toxic wood glue is okay for repairing wooden hidey houses if they become broken. As long as the glue is not exposed, it is okay.

> Aquarium silicone is okay to use...but for what? That one confused me. I couldn't understand what the poster was using it for.

> Superglue is bad, right? All those fumes and everything? For small repairs? Or to hold coroplast? I can't imagine it is good.

What kinds of glue have you used and found to be okay?

My second question is that I have read that wood must be treated so that it won't rot from the urine. Are most wooden hidey houses sold in stores treated? If you made one yourself, what would you treat it with? I am a crafty person and I love to make things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

W.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I used duct tape on the outside to hold to coroplast together. Works very well, and my cage has taken quite the beating going in and out of my car's back seat every time I visit my mother.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
That sounds good. Now, if I wanted to wash the bottom coroplast part, will the duct tape come off? And does it loosen over time?

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Well, on the base of mine (on the inside) runs a strip of duct tape that is completely covered by fleece and once a week I spray it down with a 50/50 water/vinegar solution and it's been perfectly fine.

I've never hosed the whole thing down though if that's what you mean.

And if it were to happen, I don't see that it would be that hard to fold back up and tape together. In fact, I would almost think that would be a good thing so you could open it up and really scrub it down.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Well, I did find some glue to use. I wanted to glue the coroplast bottom in my cage, rather than tape it. I felt that would be better for longevity and for aesthetics. But the problem is that coroplast is a polypropylene plastic which is generally resistant to chemicals and is waterproof. So gluing would be a challenge, because most glues might hold for a little while or not hold at all. I didn't want to do a trial and error and wanted to find the right product. (I had to have someone explain this to me)

I found a high performance glue stick that is able to glue the coroplast and is also non-toxic (very important) even for intermittent food contact. I got a lb. (18 sticks) for $5.29. I did have to buy a glue gun that handles a higher temperature, and it cost $17.25. I know this seems a little expensive for just gluing the bottom of the cage, but I justified it in case if I ever wanted to add more levels to the cage or revise or expand it. I could also use it around the house for repairs and projects since it is a high performance glue. I do love using glue guns for everything, so this is a good thing. And it is non-toxic so that makes me feel better than using super glue, which is nasty stuff.

If anyone would like the url of the store, I would be glad to provide it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.