Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties What is the minimum size Ferret Nation cage that 2 male rats can be kept in?

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Hi there fellow Cavy and Rattie slaves! I was wondering if anyone knew that of the entire FN line, which is the least expensive one/smallest that two male rats can be housed in? Rats need 2 cubic feet per rat, so two would need 4 cubic feet, which is length by width by height, but I don't know anything about ferret nation cages, so....thanks in advance for your help!

Also, I do know that they are pricey, and if I had to order online, it would be even pricier because of shipping and handling.....I also would have to put it up on a piece of furniture, but I don't think the wheels are removable, are they?

Also, I've heard that Martin's cages could be an alternative to FN, but their prices are just over-priced to the point of being ridiculous. Sorry if ya feel otherwise, but you probably have a FN anyway :p

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ferret cages wires are to spread apart for rats. Rats can squeeze threw them.
Rats like cages that there is room to climb.
You can make a rat cage out of cubes. You use the smaller cubes. There are many pictures of some great cages members have used. They are not as expensive as a store bought cage or a Martin cage.

sludge07

Cavy Slave
Hi there fellow Cavy and Rattie slaves! I was wondering if anyone knew that of the entire FN line, which is the least expensive one/smallest that two male rats can be housed in? Rats need 2 cubic feet per rat, so two would need 4 cubic feet, which is length by width by height, but I don't know anything about ferret nation cages, so....thanks in advance for your help!

Also, I do know that they are pricey, and if I had to order online, it would be even pricier because of shipping and handling.....I also would have to put it up on a piece of furniture, but I don't think the wheels are removable, are they?

Also, I've heard that Martin's cages could be an alternative to FN, but their prices are just over-priced to the point of being ridiculous. Sorry if ya feel otherwise, but you probably have a FN anyway :p

Depending on the size of the rats, the ferret nation will work. (bigger males but not females.) The critter nation is the same cage but has smaller bar spacings. It is a little more but is worth it if your rats are small. The single ferret or critter nation will work for 2 males.

You can asemble the cage without the stand if you would like. Check out allpetfurniture.com since they usually have free shipping on orders of $60 or more including the FN.

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
Ferret cages wires are to spread apart for rats. Rats can squeeze threw them.
Rats like cages that there is room to climb.
You can make a rat cage out of cubes. You use the smaller cubes. There are many pictures of some great cages members have used. They are not as expensive as a store bought cage or a Martin cage.

My friend actually has her 4 male rats housed in a ferret cage and they do wonderfully. However, they are full grown males, so FN cages can be safe, just not for younger rats

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You CAN use a Ferret Nation cage for younger rats with modification.

You can house adult females in a Ferret Nation cage also.

I have the FN 142 that I bought last summer from ferret.com and I have 3 males who live in one section and 2 females that live in the other section.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.