Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Unexpected Surprise?

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave

Hello. I'm fairly new to the whole forum scene so please bare with me. I'm twenty-four years old, and I recently have acquired a guinea pig. She has been living with me for roughly four weeks, and I have noticed a significant change in her shape and size. I purchased her from the pet store that I currently work at (PetSmart) and I believe she may have been impregnated before she arrived to the store.

I know many people stress upon not getting animals at pet stores, but, I haven't come across any cavy rescue foundations in the state of South Carolina.

Anyway, as my name entails, I am new to the care of guinea pigs and I was wondering if I could possibly obtain some helpful feedback? If you want I can take some pictures of Lilith (my girl in question) and maybe it'll be easier for you to tell me if I should worry or not.

I did take her back to the store this morning, and had one of my managers look at her. He said she looked pregnant, but he isn't a vet. I'm been off work for the last month due to surgery, so an expensive vet bill is a bit out of reach right now.

I just want my baby to be ok. I don't have a problem with her having the pups and I would intend on keeping them. I previously purchased a -Much- larger cage, one that can house up to three cavies, because I felt the (only) one that was available at my store, was way too small. I also have an alternative cage if there are any males that need to be seperated 'til I find a more permanent solution.

I've read a lot of links and tried to compile as much information as possible, but unfortunately its really hard to find good solid factual info a certain things, and this is a very important subject for me. So, please, if anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

<3
Jo, Aka NewbieCavy​

Last edited:

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Well, if she it, congrats on being a grandparent. Piggies babies are a joy and are absolutely hilarious. I had 3 of them myself back in december and kept them all (I now have a family of 5 including mom and dad, but I'm definetly not a breed, just a sexing accident!). Just be perpared if any problems may arise during the prenancy or birth. Take her to the vet, it will give you the best answers. Guinea Pig Lynx has the best information to read if your interested, it gave me lots of info that helped me out. Make sure mama has lots of water and could probably put her in alfafa (if she is) and keep her on it till the babes are about 6 months. Mix it up with the timothy hay. I never switched pellets at all. Of course there's her veggies as well. I gave her a little bit extra just in case. I roughly went from a cup to cup and a half for her. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me!

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig is one of the best, if not the best, guinea pig medical reference website on the web. Look under reproduction in the index.

Here is what I found in 2 minutes in regards to guinea pigs in shelters/rescues in South Carolina:

(broken link removed)

My first 3 pigs WERE bought from a store BEFORE I knew of the overpopulation and other horrible things. I was lucky, all of mine were sexed properly and all were completely healthy. None were pregnant. I now support rescuing guinea pigs, so does everyone else on this site.

Good Luck and welcome to GPC!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You can always find ways to rescue if you want to. Here's a petfinder list of guinea pigs in South Carolina. Guinea Pig, Rock Hill, SC: Adoptable Pets: Petfinder
Also, (broken link removed).

That said, if she's pregnant she might need veterinary care, so it would be wise to find a cavy savvy vet in your area before you actually need one. Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig offers great care advice and has awesome info for the care of pregnant pigs too. Also, their forums are great.

The cage you have is probably too small if it's a pet store cage. Look into acquiring the materials to make them a C&C cage. www.guineapigcages.com. You'll need to baby proof for the little ones.

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
The new cage wasn't purchased at a pet store. It was purchased online from Bluestone Commerce via Ebay. Its a CC cage that I had to put together myself piece by piece with tie wraps. It took about three hours.

I'll look into those websites you posted about cavy vets as well as reread over Guinealynx and Cavyspirit. I just want to make sure I know everything there is to know beforehand. I have a tendency to worry a lot and I'm almost 100% sure she is pregant, from what the "signs" tell me.

As far as my research on rescuers all the links I found on Google were either dead and discontinued. There were some #s posted as well, and when I called it was the "wrong number ma'am". So, I was a bit shocked to say the least.

Keep replying! I'm soaking this up like a sponge.

❤️
Jo

P.S: Homemade spaghetti anyone? :p

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oh, good on the CC cage!

I wouldn't be surprised if she is pregnant, it's fairly common amongst pet store piggies unfortunately. If you look on GL, there's a "Find a Vet" feature where folks recommend guinea pig friendly and knowledgeable vets.

Depending on how far along she is, you will probably be able to feel any pups moving inside her. Poor thing.

Best of luck to you and her.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
No offense, but why did you post this here? This is the wrong forum. You technically, according to our forum rules, should have posted this in the About Guinea Pigs forum. The Kitchen is for debatable, controversial subjects.

On the other hand, welcome to Guineapigcages.com forums! I would definetely bring her to a vet for just a check up and to confirm whether or not she is pregnant. GuineaLynx is the place you want to go for preggo cavy care. Good luck! Let us know how things turn out for Lilith (and that is a beautiful name, by the way!).

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
No offense, but why did you post this here? This is the wrong forum. You technically, according to our forum rules, should have posted this in the About Guinea Pigs forum. The Kitchen is for debateable, controversial subjects.
I'm sure the mods will move it if it should be moved. I think she probably just didn't know where to put it, seeing as how these are her first few posts here. It shouldn't distract from the info we give her though. :)

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
No offense taken. As I said before, I am new to using forums. I wasn't really sure -where- to post this link. I apologize if I have somehow managed to clutter the system. :p And thank you. I thought the name fit her quite nicely.

Anyway, back to researching!

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
No, you haven't cluttered the system, don't worry about it L0L. I remember when I was new here, I probably got like 5 infractions in my first week :silly: because I tried to have a signature, posted too many smileys, and I posted clues about my age when I was underage, etc etc etc. I was confused a bit too, so no worries, you're not the only one!

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
I'm going to call the Vet sometime today and try to set up an appointment. Unfortunately it isn't an "exotic animal" Vet, but I can at least schedule an ultra-sound I'm sure.

I'm almost 100% sure she is pregnant though. And if she is pregnant, when should I start feeding her Alfalfa hay? I work in a pet store and I was going to pick some up if I need it now before the babies arrive. (Please no flaming! I try my best not to give poor advice and if someone asks me something I do not know I tell them so instead of making up some lame answer to make a sale, I swear it.)

Also, one more concern. When should I cease handling her? I would love for her to get some floor/cuddle time but I do not want to upset her if she is expecting soon.

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
Phooey! I almost forgot. I've heard dramatic changes can cause pregnancy issues. Is it too late to change her food mixture? I was doing some reading and I don't think "Nutriphase Gold" is the best I can give her. It has quite a few seeds and colored pieces as well as some dried vegetable bits.

Any recommendations? I was thinking of trying Oxbow. Which formula should I get?

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Any recommendations? I was thinking of trying Oxbow. Which formula should I get?

Since your piggy is probably under 6 months old and potentially pregnant to boot, you would probably want to get Oxbow's alfalfa pellet, Cavy Performance. Cavy Cuisine is their timothy based pellet.

I always fed my girls the timothy pellet and supplemented with some alfalfa hay, but I wasn't concerned with a possible pregnancy.

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
OMG! I think I felt the babies kick!!! Is there any other motion/feeling that you can feel from touching the sides of a guinea pigs belly ? Or is that a definite baby kick? I swear to god I felt sudden thump thumps every once in awhile as I was caressing her after weighting!

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
You can feel a pulse or something like that near their bellies, but that's a constant motion. Kicks are sudden and only happen every so often (and are stronger the the pulse). Congrats! I think it's good that you are able to work at a pet tore and give out proper information. It is after all a job, and it's one step to helping people give better care to their animals. Not everyone knows the horrors of petstore backgrounds and their are some people how just chose not to believe. At any case, your there the help and I think that's good!

psmadden

Cavy Slave
good luck, grandmom to be!! should be very exciting to see the little ones when they are born!!

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Here is what I found in 2 minutes in regards to guinea pigs in shelters/rescues in South Carolina:

(broken link removed)

When I posted before, I'm like 95% sure that I posted a petfinder site about guinea pigs in your area. I remember being on petfinder, and POSTING that link. Maybe I'm wrong... But I did NOT copy and past a personal e-card from my vet's office. I didn't even have my e-mail open at the time! I don't know what happened! Some kind of glitch?

But yes, now my e-card from my vet for one of my guinea pig's birthday is posted here, I have no idea how or why. Just thought I would explain that if people were going through this.

NewbieCavy

Cavy Slave
Lol, I was wondering what that was :). I think I got the wrong pellet mixture though. I got Cavy cuisine, but now that I think of it I should have gotten the alfalfa based pellets for the babies huh? I got some Alfalfa hay but Lilith (mother to be) doesn't seem to care too much for it yet. *sigh* I'll go back tomorrow and get some (if they have any) if not can you think of another chain wide store that carries Oxbow?

Also, when should I stop handling her? I weight her periodically and stroke her stomach to check on the babies, but I don't want to upset her if shes coming close to giving birth in the next few weeks.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I got Cavy cuisine, but now that I think of it I should have gotten the alfalfa based pellets for the babies huh? I got some Alfalfa hay but Lilith (mother to be) doesn't seem to care too much for it yet. *sigh*

I think the alfalfa has a higher calcium content than timothy so if you bought the wrong one and mom doesn't seem to like the alfalfa hay very much (though I'd keep trying and see if she just needs to get used to it. My pigs LOVE their alfalfa hay!) then I would go to the diet chart and feed higher calcium veggies to supplement, unless the bag of pellets isn't opened yet. If it's not opened then you could just keep it for later :)

From Oxbow:
Alfalfa-based Oxbow Cavy Performance is specially designed to provide high fiber, protein, calcium and energy required for young guinea pigs to thrive. The optimized, balanced protein and stabilized vitamins also help nurture pregnant and lactating animals

Also I order my pellets online. I find it's cheaper even with shipping thn a local store since I usually order other things as well. There are several sites you could use. drsfostersmith.com , petfooddirect.com , amazon.com to name a few.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
This is something I've read that some members do if they have a pregnant pig and need to pick it up but don't want to. They corral her into a box that she can walk into (so cut off one side), put your hand over the open side of the box so she can't back out, and pick up the box. That way you don't touch her stomach. Just make sure the sides of the box are high enough.

If you go on the oxbow website, they have a product locater, so you can find stores near you that carry oxbow products. I would suggest using that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.