PDA

View Full Version : Ivermectin 2 Questions

tamnjo
02-14-09, 01:42 pm
Today I'm going to go and buy ivermectin and I was wondering where I should store it inbetween doses? And also did you guys wash all your clothes and everything? Or just vaccum and clean the cage? Thanks all!

Paula
02-14-09, 04:07 pm
I just keep it in the box it came in underneath the cage, with other medical and grooming supplies and whatnot. Just clean the cage really thoroughly the day or so after you treat with ivermectin.

tamnjo
02-14-09, 05:37 pm
Well she usually cuddles me in my bed so I'll clean the sheets and vacuum. I got the Ivermectin today in the horse paste form. But I didn't realise until after what the back said. If you could read it in the picture then tell me what you think, that would be great. I don't want to use it if there's any risk.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/tamnjo/P2141790-1.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/tamnjo/P2141797.jpg

This is what it looks like. It's already in the syringe so I'll just unscrew the top and push out 250 pounds worth and delute it from there.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/tamnjo/P2141799-1.jpg

NicholsS10
02-14-09, 06:24 pm
Where did you buy the ivermectin from?

A cavy savvy vet would know best how to use it. Keep in mind pigs need a specific dose based on their weight.

Paula
02-14-09, 06:28 pm
Here's some information on using the horse paste:
Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin Products (http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_products.html#paste)

tamnjo
02-14-09, 08:44 pm
Thanks for the link. I've read those articles many times before picking out the ivermectin. I got it from a tack and feed store called Mary's. I have done lots of reaserch on horse paste but I just wanted to make sure it was safe even though it says "not to be used on other species". If you delute it and treat her with the right amount, it won't hurt her right?

jenniwat001
02-15-09, 08:04 am
In Englad, if you go into any pet shop they sell packets of "Ivermectin for Guinea pigs and Rabbits" there are 4 small vials and yo use two per fully grown pig on the back of the neck and then again 7-10 days later. Do you guys not have that in the US? Or am I usig the wrong stuff? Argh, concerned now!

tamnjo
02-15-09, 08:49 am
No we dont have that here. I called every pet store and feed shop near me and Mary's was the only shop that carries it. They had it at the vets, but I would have to have gotten an exam which costs $40 and I dont have that money right now.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is do all the horse paste boxes have that warning on the back? I want to treat her tomorrow so if any one could let me know asap, that would be great. Thanks.

Paula
02-15-09, 09:03 am
I have never used the horse paste, but I would imagine they all have the same warning because it's such a highly concentrated dose.

Just make sure you know how to dilute it so it's not harmful for them.

tamnjo
02-15-09, 08:03 pm
Ok thanks.

I got the grids today and set up her new cage and I'm gonna put her in it after I treat her. I'm going in to my dads work to weigh her tomorrow.

Pray that all goes well! Thanks all!

Paula
02-15-09, 08:14 pm
Haha, best of luck to you. I know the first time I used ivermectin I was terrified. I got the injection stuff so I wouldn't have to worry about diluting it. Let us know how it goes.

catzeye21138
02-15-09, 09:37 pm
Forgot it. Delete me please.

catzeye21138
02-15-09, 09:55 pm
I can't edit my last post, but I know what I wanted to say now.

Be sure to check the expiration date. After it expires I suggest getting a smaller tube. They are less expencive and you probably won't end up using it all anyway. Its good to treat them every few months when they come in contact with other guinea pigs.

tamnjo
02-16-09, 07:47 am
Well I'm pretty sure this was the smallest size. Except for one which was $5.00 but it was flavored.

Adorable
02-16-09, 08:18 am
I believe the warning is because people were using it to treat heartworm without getting the dogs tested first. Ivermectin kills the heartworm and then they disperse through the bloodstream, killing the dog, so you should never use it in a dog that is heartworm positive.

Thatís the simplified version I remember without googling, but Iím sure itís a bit more technical.

tamnjo
02-16-09, 09:20 am
Ok thanks! I'm so much more relieved now. I can't wait to treat her then put her in her new cage! She's gonna love it! :)

Ly&Pigs
02-16-09, 12:10 pm
Just make sure you mix it properly using the directions on guinealynx and treat according to weight.