PDA

View Full Version : Will she jump?

pupsandpigs
02-13-09, 04:17 pm
My baby, Ella, is still big enough to barley get through the holes in her cage, but it is 14" off the ground (extra grids were used as a stand) and she likes to get up on her hind legs in one corner and peer over the top of the coroplast. She sometimes sticks her nose through a hole and I was wondering if she will jump from the height. I dont have any coroplast left and I was wondering also if there were any other was of temporaraly baby-proofing her cage if she will jump.

NicholsS10
02-13-09, 05:31 pm
Look at this:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/501

pupsandpigs
02-13-09, 06:05 pm
Look at this:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/501
I am not going to remake her cage for that matter, so I dont think that that will help

tehdoc809
02-13-09, 11:16 pm
Heres a nasty truth.. she could. From everything I've read about guinea pig eyesight, they have really good peripheral vision, but poor center gaze. Which means that can see something coming from the side better than something coming from the front. This is largely due to the face that their eyes are located on the sides of the head because they are prey animals. A nasty side effect of this, is that they have very poor depth perception, so even though its up off teh ground, to her, it might look like its not very far, and she could go for it. 14" isn't too terribly high.. but cavies are fragile creatures, so I'd take every precaution.

Peggysu
02-14-09, 10:11 am
You could put cardboard on the edges between the coroplast and grids. It's going to look funny but it's only temporary.

BabyBellie
02-14-09, 06:52 pm
I would be very careful with her. I use grids as a pen for floor time and thought my boys were big enough that they couldn't fit through them. I was right but that didn't stop my moo from shoving his head through a square and getting it stuck. If I hadn't been right there he would easily have broken his neck the way he was thrashing and it was really hard to get him out. The grids are difficult to bend if you are only bending one wire while trying not to hurt a piggie. For the most part he was ok but his neck was bruised for over a week. It was such a scarry and tramatic event that I wouldn't risk it with your girl. Use cardboard as said above or find a different way to babyproof.

pupsandpigs
02-15-09, 04:15 pm
You could put cardboard on the edges between the coroplast and grids. It's going to look funny but it's only temporary.
I put up a piece of cardboard where she was peeking out, and she stopped! She was also doing this at night because that was the corner where the light was, so I put a towel over her cage so it is nice and dark!

IluvePiggies
02-25-09, 02:26 pm
If I build a C&C cage, I would be afraid of the same thing. My first Guinea Pig Sandy will only stretch her neck but my second Guinea Pig, Carly can stand on her hind legs.

P.S. I don't want to get on anybody's bad side but it might not be till the summer or a little after before I build a C&C cage. But I've learned so much from this site.

Omnimous
02-26-09, 10:55 am
If I build a C&C cage, I would be afraid of the same thing. My first Guinea Pig Sandy will only stretch her neck but my second Guinea Pig, Carly can stand on her hind legs.

If them getting out is a worry, put a top on the cage. Both my boars stand on their hind legs all the time and reach up every time I walk by with food (or if they think I have food), but neither will climb off the ground or jump to get out.