Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Has your guinea pig ever chewed the coroplast in a C&C cage?

claire

Cavy Slave
I assume since these cages are so widely recommended, that it's highly uncommon for a piggy to chew and eat the coroplast?

I'm asking because while phoning around signmakers today looking for coroplast, I had a woman be very rude to me on the phone. When I explained what I wanted it for, she said she has guinea pigs and implied I was being thoughtless and irresponsible using it in a cage as they could chew it and get ill. I explained that it would be at least 6 inches deep so they would have to put real effort into reaching and chewing the edges but she was adamant that it was a stupid idea. She then quoted me double the price I'd been quoted elsewhere, quite possibly to discourage me. As if I'd be doing business with her anyway.

So my question is, has anyone ever had a serious issue with chewy piggies in a C&C? I kind of assumed they would try it, realise it's not tasty and go back to the plentiful goodies within the cage. I've only been a piggy mum for a week after years of keeping rats and I want to get it right with my new boys.

thank you.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I've never had a pig chew on coroplast. I have however, had issues with my pig eating the duct tape I used to combine two pieces together from the inside of the cage. the simple solution to that was remove the tape and only hold it together from the outside, which works perfectly fine.

Clarion

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs will occaisonally chew on anything and everything. Mine especially seem to love plastic and no matter how hard I try, will always manage to find something made of the stuff to chew on during floor time/cuddle time. But, I've rarely noticed any chewing on the coroplast. Maybe once in a great while. That woman was obviously being rude just to be rude:yuck:

claire

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think the woman on the phone possibly thought she was doing right, and that I was just a complete imbecile. Which is a brilliant way to run a small business in these tough times...

One of my little lads IS a bit of a chewer but he's only very young (9 weeks) and he's just going through that stage of tasting everything and seeing if it can be destroyed. I can't imagine he'd find coroplast that nice for chomping on.

ilovestars

Cavy Slave
My Jazzy is my "Lets chew on things" pigs. She only really chews on it when she whats attention. In the three years that i have had the cage. I haven't had any problems with her chewing on it's more like nibbling on it.

jimmyjams

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh, one of my pigs chews on the coroplast all the time! She does seem to do it in phases, so when she starts again, I line the inside of the coroplast with cardboard. She chews on the cardboard for a while, and then forgets about the whole thing after a few days.

It's frustrating if they do chew the coroplast, but if yours do, just try to distract them with something. Mine have endless amounts of hay and cardboard to play with, but one still periodically has a craving for coroplast. I hope that yours behave!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
My pigs chew on the coroplast as a way to say "Hurry up WOMAN! I'm HUNGRY!" It's extremely common amongst my herd.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
My pigs chew on the coroplast as a way to say "Hurry up WOMAN! I'm HUNGRY!" It's extremely common amongst my herd.

That is so funny! Mine are the same way! I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment (I'm in college) and since the kitchen is only about 20 feet from their cage, they chew on the coroplast the entire time I'm making them dinner. They also add lots of loud squealing!

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Merlin, the guinea pig I just had pass away, was the chewer out of my lot. I put these over the edges over the coroplast to stop it being chewed away - Spine bar. So for 1 out of 6 piggies to chew the coroplast, yes it seems pretty uncommon. When I found the massive hole in the coroplast that Merlin had made I was really worried it would make him unwell but he was fine.

claire

Cavy Slave
This is great news, thank you so much everyone. I feel much better now.

Only 2 and a bit weeks until they get their C&C. I'm having to wait to get the parts for my birthday as this month's spare cash has already gone on start up costs like enormous amount of hay etc. I'll make sure I get those spine things to cover the edges, they seem like a great idea.

Nelli

Cavy Slave
My piggies chew on coroplast all the time. They do it when they're hungry and when they're not. They have a lot of tunnels and cozies to keep them busy but they chew on it as they please.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.