Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Neutering 2 year old boars - worth the risk?

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I have 5 piggies now. They currently live like this: 2 sows (Emmy & Erin), 1 sow (Isabel), 1 boar (Rico), 1 boar (Ruben). The single sow is on her own because she is poorly (she's at the vets), she is on the mend and will be coming home soon. I am nervous about putting her back with the other 2 girls because when she's been separated from them before, she attacked them when she was put back with them (not badly but she chased them and made them squeak). I think she'll be fine with them but I'm just saying what happened so you know the sows don't have a special bond.

The guinea pigs previously lived in the heated shed (up until about a week ago). This was not ideal but they lived in 3 2x6 cages. Now they are in my room I have limited space so can only make 2 cages. I am not sure how big they are going to be but they will be no smaller than 2x4 and no bigger than 2x5. Obviously the latter (two 2x5s) is better but whatever space I have is the space I have to work with, otherwise they can't live in my room!!

My choices are this: 3 sows, 2 boars.
I have tried to introduce the boars before. They got on for 9 hours and then had a fight. No blood was shed but it sounded like they were fighting pretty serious. I got scared like I always do and separated them. But bear in mind they are in temporary cages that are too small. Once their permanent cages are built, which will be bigger, they might get on?

My other choice: 2 sows & 1 boar, 1 sow & 1 boar.
Do you think it is too risky to neuter boars that are 2 years old?

What would you do?

oveione

Cavy Slave
Hi thats a good question as i am considering getting my two year old boar neuterd so he can live with my two girls or get a younger boar and risk them not getting on so end up with two single piggies it is hard

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Any surgery carries risk, and if you are asking if it's more risky to neuter a 2 year old boar compared to a younger one, like 6 months or a year old, it's not. As long as the boar is not a senior, it's not anymore risky.

Here is a link that will provide you with good information. I used this link when making the decision to neuter my boar so he could live with 4 sows:

Guinea Pig Neutering, How to Neuter your Guinea Pigs

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Firstly I would try introductions again in same sex pairs/trios. You have to give it time to see if there will be bloodshed or not and not take a pig out if they act like they want to fight. The reason is because they have to have time to sort out any dominance issues they may have and if you don't allow the time, they can't do it. Sometimes it may take days for them to decide who is the boss and who isn't. Only one pig can be the boss so the others have to be submissive and give in to the boss. If you try this and there is bloodshed, then you can separate again. You just have to stop being so scared of what might happen and see what will happen.

If that does not work out then I would look into the option of neutering your boars and setting them up 2 sows-1 boar and 1sow-1 boar.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Okay then, I have decided that once my two cages are built (which should be next week) I am going to give them another buddy bath and try again. I know I am such a coward, I just fear they will fight when I am not there! It was in the middle of the night so I was half asleep and I had school the next day so I just quickly separated them. But next week I have no school so I don't care being woken up by them sorting out their pecking order! If it doesn't work I will get them both neutered. I go to the Cambridge Cavy Trust and will ask Vedra for a cavy savvy vet to do the neuters.

Many thanks for the helpful responses.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Success!

It looks like neutering will not be needed as the two appear to have bonded.

I did another buddy bath. I decided to do it in the evening because if they were to fight, I'd be there to separate. They woke me at midnight, then again at 1:45am, then at 3am, but I persevered and did not separate! There was chasing and chattering of teeth, and each time I got up to watch. But by morning there was calmness in the cage and it is now 4:45pm and no chasing since, and they have each been resting under their hideys gently cooing to each other.

Here is a photo of Ruben and Rico, the new friends. They both recently lost their cagemates (Ruben was very close to his brother Merlin and would snuggle up beside him) so it is a joy to know they aren't lonely any longer.

I'm very happy :)

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
That's good news. Just so you know, there may still be times when they may not seem to get along so well, but just perservere through those times too and you will have it made.

The chasing and chattering is part of the establishing dominance ritual that guinea pigs go through.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.