Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

coroplast help

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I don't know the measurements for a 3x1 upper level, but I can tell you how to attach the coroplast without sides. Use small or medium binder clips. They work great.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
i was thinking ok using cable ties and poking holes in the coroplast but what i was woried about was when i put the cubes together the connectores took up room so i could not put the coroplast up against the side of the cage it would be like an inch away and i didn't know if that would be a problem.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
If you use the binder clips you can butt the ends right up against the side of the cage. I have been using binder clips on my own cage up on the loft and down in the main area and it doesn't slip and I can remove it easily to wash it. If you use cable ties and it's an inch away I would worry about their feet getting caught in the space not covered.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
how do u get it right up against the cage if the connectors are in the way?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
If you look at my cage in my gallery, the bottom part of the grids on the main level don't have connectors, they are simply zip tied and that's what I did on the second level as well. I only used connectors to help stabilize the top part of the grids. That's how you get the coroplast to fit snugly up against the grids.

If you can't really see what I mean I will try to take some new pics so you can see better.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I can't really see what you mean. If you could take some more pictures i would appreciate it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
No problem, I will take some later this evening. I am getting ready to have to go out for a while but will get them taken and posted for you when I get back.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
ok thankyou very much!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I haven't forgotten about you Rust. But the batteries in my digital camera are dead and I don't have any more at the moment. I will get batteries tomorrow and get the pics for you.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Finally got them taken. I hope you will be able to see what I am talking about. I demonstrated how I "butt" the coroplast up to the edges of the grids with a piece of cardboard.

If you look you will only see the connectors that are connected to the tops of the lower level grids but there are no connectors at the bottom of the top level grids. I used cable ties to secure and connectors at the top.

In this picture you will see how a piece of cardboard or coroplast will go right up against the grids and then can be attached in the front with binder clips.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
thank you very much! that pictures really helped I am going to be building my cage this weekend and i think i will do that. So you just connect the grids on the top level to the bottom with cable ties then connect the coroplast with binder clips? Do you use the big binder clips or the smaller ones? I just want to get everything straight!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
On the bottom level I have a coroplast box and there is no need to clip. For the loft, I have a 1x4 that goes around a corner. The part of the cage that I showed you the pictures of well there is a 1x2 coroplast box sitting there too that is filled with hay but the other 1x2 section of the loft just has coroplast on the bottom and the coroplast has no sides or anything. I sat it there and just used medium sized binder clips to hold it down along with the fleece so they can't move either around.

Yes I connect the loft grids to the lower level with only cable ties. About 2 or 3 ties for each grid and then I connect the top of the grids together with the connectors. It's easier if you lay out your grids and put the top connectors on first and then put the whole thing in place and start cable tying it to the bottom grids.

If you also look at the top pic above, down toward the bottom of the picture you will see the grids that lay down between levels are also zip tied and connected where they meet. This way they don't come apart and I don't have piggies falling through to the bottom in case it falls apart. I didn't do that at first and one of the grids fell and the cardboard (thats what I used until I got more coro) went with it and so did one of the pigs.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Thank you Chatty CoCo. I think your idea is great but when i was looking throught the pictures i found this cage and i was wondering if anyone knew how they made their coroplast fit so well. I tried to pm them but no response.
Here is the picture:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=117

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You simply follow the instructions for measurements here.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
i know how to make the coroplast for the bootom of the cage but on the top i don't want to have the coroplast wall. I jsut want the coroplast on the bottom of it. If i did that then the coroplast would be about 1-2 centimeters away from the edge of the cage. See on the top level of that picture i want to know how they got the coroplast to fit so well up there.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
They probably measured the space inside the grids exactly and cut it out to fit there properly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.