PDA

View Full Version : Dust Free bedding

Clairfy
02-05-09, 09:49 am
Hello, I do hope I have posted this in the right section, I apologise in advance if it is not.

I took my piggie to the vet this morning and found out she has an infection, possible URI and is taking baytril to treat it. However the vet said I should change her bedding from shavings as this is too dusty. Does anyone have any suggestions what else I can keep her on? The vet did suggest recycled paper stips but I would like some advice off people who have a bit more knowledge and experience of piggies.

Thanks, Clairfy.

:confused:

LadyMorrgian
02-05-09, 09:54 am
If you are going for dust free, paper strips have no dust really.

I personally use a buck of strips 4x4, so more like squares of fleece in the bottom of their litter/kitchen pan. They love to sleep there and pull out hay to sleep on. They turn their nose up at every thing else.

Some people I know, and I have done this before, will take a large strainer and kind of shift Carefresh before using it to remove the smaller pieces. This is not a long term soltion as it will cost alot of money in the long run, but for the time being that can work.

gooberific
02-05-09, 10:00 am
I use fleece/towels/comforter (from top to bottom) throughout the main cages and then a small litterbox with carefresh under their hay racks.

mummy2niamhy
02-05-09, 11:36 am
Towels and fleece is definitly the way to go....Very easy to use, dust free, eco freindly and cheaper than other stuff in the long run.

Clairfy
02-05-09, 01:06 pm
ok thanks for the replies :)

I am not a newbie to guinea pigs.. but I am to using fleece and towels. What would I need to do?

mummy2niamhy
02-05-09, 01:16 pm
Get some cheapy cheep towels (all mine come from the pound shop), and measure your cage, then go to the fabric shop near to you (look around if there are more than one and find the cheapest) and get the right sized material for the cage.

It may be worth getting it a little big, maybe 8 to 10 inches too big on each side, this will allow for shrinking when you wash it.

Wash the fleece and towels 3 or 4 times to get their absorbancy up.

Don't use fabric conditioner.

And do one wash on 60 (so it can shrink before you cut it to fit your cage), the rest can be done on cold/30.

Cut the fleece to fit your cage, and you are done!!!

It's a bit if faffing about at first but it's sinple once the first bit is done.

mummy2niamhy
02-05-09, 01:19 pm
Forgot to add after care once you are using it...

...hoover/vacuum it out once or twice a day depending on the size of the cage ammount of piggies in there, and how much they are pooping!..Mine is done twice a day when I can.

Wash it every three or four days, again depending on the size of the cage and stuff....Mine is washed once a week, but that's all it seems to need.