PDA

View Full Version : Feet Itching Guinea Pig? Biting toenails?

IluvePiggies
02-04-09, 10:28 am
I took my Guinea Pig to the vet yesterday and the vet clipped her nails. Well ever since then, Carly has been biting at her foot. Before I took her to the vet, she itched alot. The vet said she had no fleas or mites. What should I do? Is this normal?

rabbitsncavyluv
02-04-09, 12:11 pm
I already said your vet may not be cavy savy. If they came from Petno, you should treat them for mites as a precaution. Stress can cause mites to flare up.

gooberific
02-05-09, 12:50 am
I took my Guinea Pig to the vet yesterday and the vet clipped her nails. Well ever since then, Carly has been biting at her foot. Before I took her to the vet, she itched alot. The vet said she had no fleas or mites. What should I do? Is this normal?

She might not have ear mites or lice, but the kind of skin mites piggies get are microscopic, so I would ask them for ivermectin or revolution.
Guinea Lynx :: Antiparasitics (http://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html)

IluvePiggies
02-05-09, 11:05 am
She looked over Carly's whole body and no mites. Also the clinic had a license from the Rabbit Breeder association or whatever you call it. The nurse and the vet were really nice and said that Carly was sweet.(She also left a surprise for the vets)

gooberific
02-05-09, 11:09 am
She looked over Carly's whole body and no mites. Also the clinic had a license from the Rabbit Breeder association or whatever you call it. The nurse and the vet were really nice and said that Carly was sweet.(She also left a surprise for the vets)

With a microscope?

IluvePiggies
02-05-09, 11:10 am
No but I think Carly likes to clean herself a lot too. She's stopped doing it so often.

gooberific
02-05-09, 11:14 am
Just had a thought. Biting toenails, if she likes to be a clean piggy, it could be she got some poop stuck on it and she's cleaning it off. I've seen my boys do that (especially with the dark nails, poop can be hard to see) and once I've been able to help them get it clean they're okay, so that could be a possibility.

And a certification from RABBIT anything does not give them piggy knowledge. Again, I really recommend a round of ivermectin or revolution for your girls. If they don't have the microscopic mites, it still won't hurt, and if they DO have them (which, if left untreated can become extremely painful for your girls), then it can only help.

Ly&Pigs
02-05-09, 11:36 am
Mites are microscopic meaning they cannot be seen with a naked eye so of course this person could not see mites. It's always best to treat petstore pigs as a precaution as treating them won't hurt them if they don't have mites.

You need a cavy savvy vet. Rabbits and cavies are totally different animals.

pringles70
03-26-09, 09:19 am
I already said your vet may not be cavy savy. If they came from Petno, you should treat them for mites as a precaution. Stress can cause mites to flare up.

I just got a new guinea pig, it's ok to treat for mites even if they don't have them? It won't hurt the pig as long as the dose is right, correct? I think she needs a bath too, apparently they were housed outside, and her fur feels dirty and coarse.

Ly&Pigs
03-26-09, 09:39 am
I just got a new guinea pig, it's ok to treat for mites even if they don't have them? It won't hurt the pig as long as the dose is right, correct? I think she needs a bath too, apparently they were housed outside, and her fur feels dirty and coarse.Yes, it's ok to treat even if it turns out there were no active mites. I'd do a course of 2-3 doses. Do not bathe a pig that you suspect has mites though because if she does have mites, bathing will make them worse.

Mites lay dormant in guinea pigs and can flare up in times of stress or illness.

pringles70
03-26-09, 09:54 am
Thanks Ly, because I surely would have bathed cricket by now. I will be glad when the quarantine time is over. Now I just have to get some ivermeticin somewhere.

pringles70
03-26-09, 10:38 am
Will a vet sell me ivermeticin without a visit? Where can I buy this stuff locally? Or do I just buy it online?

Ly&Pigs
03-26-09, 11:07 am
A vet isn't going to sell it to you. You will be able to find it in Feed Stores, Animal Supply stores like Tractor Supply Company and you can order it from different places online. You can't just use any ivermectin product though, many are marketed for small animals but aren't safe.

Here is a link to the kinds that can be used.
http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_products.html