Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How much do you think you spent on your Guinea Pig(s)

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Idk how much I spent(well my parents but now I do have a Guinea Pig fund that I am saving up for the supplies of my soon to be C&C cage) but I know that my parents usually buy the veggies and I just ask.................I don't care how much you spent and I won't say "Wow, you spent a lot, that's way too much" I just like to know because its kind of fun to see how many people spoil their Guinea's. I know I do!

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I have 3 pigs and it varies drastically depending on what I'm low on at the moment. Yesterday I had to order (2) 23L bags of Carefresh (which I only need to order occasionally since they're on fleece with Carefresh in only 2 small areas), a 10lb bag of Oxbow pellets and I also got a small bag of oat hay for them to try. With shipping it was a little over $40. I bought meadow hay months ago from Sweet Meadow Farm. It was 9lbs and I don't remember how much it was, but I still have half left so I won't need to buy hay for a while. Veggies are usually 2x a week and it varies from between $10-$20 depending on whether I just need lettuce and spices or if they're out of other veggies as well. So really, it's hard to say. I would have to put a yearly figure if anything.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Me either. Its amazing how some people have spent over a $1,000 but I bet if anybody added their monthly buy(Bedding, food, hay, etc) and how much they spent when they first got their Guinea Pig(s) I betcha it would be close to that.

Hehehehehehe

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I spent anywhere from $50-70. I live on a small island and all our produce is shipped in. Veggies are expensive here but you gotta do what you gotta do!

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Exactly. When I bought Carly they had a bunch of hay, pellets and veggies.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
50- 70 dollars a week sorry!

sealion

Cavy Slave
50-70 dollars a week ? spoiled piggys :D How much do you have ?

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
I am sorry Iluvpigs but you are not allowed to post survey questions like that, an admin will probably say something to you, although it is an interesting topic, I dont believe your allowed to do so, so be careful.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Ya, I agree with Shawnee, you should watch yourself. It's good that's your asking a lot of questions though to try and better yourself! Learning about our piggies is the best way to get to know them better and be able to mean their needs.

And as for the 50-70, I have 5 piggies and like I said, veggies are expensive on the island from them being shipped in. Prince Edward Island grows nothing but potatoes and raise cattle because the Island is basically soil isn't really good for growing anything else! We're a tiny island that only takes 4 hours to totally drive across, point to point!

PokeyPig

Cavy Slave
I am sorry Iluvpigs but you are not allowed to post survey questions like that, an admin will probably say something to you, although it is an interesting topic, I dont believe your allowed to do so, so be careful.

why can't you? It seems like a helpful and honest question.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Well, the thing is it's boardline making a poll, and the only ones allowed to make polls. We're not trying to be rude or anything, just wanted to help you out so you dont get in touble!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
In the past month, this includes Christmas gifts, food, hay, etc... I spent probably about $105. I know that sounds nuts, because well it is to me, but I normally only spend about $20, but this does not include veggies. But that includes hay, shavings, and food.

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
Usually $10 a week for veggies (when in season = $0 because my father in law have a farm).

I'd say monthly at least $100 plus.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Let's see, over a month -
2 bags of oxbow pellets (only one size available in Aus) - 24.20 each = 48.40
Veggies - approx $30 a week
Shavings - $16 approx
Hay - depends, I have had to buy two small bags of oaten hay (at $7 each) until I can get a bale of meadow hay (10.50). A bale lasts me anywhere from a month to two months.

TOTAL = About $195 a month between 5 pigs.

Lately I have also purchased almost $100 of new beds. I need to upgrade towels, fleece and corflute when I get the time as well - for now everything is ok. That doesn't include vet bills which can be unexpected and pricey.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Vet bills :eye-poppi , I gnaw my fingers off when I have to wait for the total. I took mine once so far back when my Pixie had her 3 pups. I wanted to make sure they were all fine and healthy and a I got one of the pups (Edward my leathal) teeth clipped. It cost roughly $60 for the check up for all 4 and teeth trimming. I must say, I was expecting worse! I've heard horror stories about vet bills lol! I just bless my stars all my babes are healthy!

sealion

Cavy Slave
Oh, I know what you mean about vet bills ! Luckly, I don't have to pay them since my parents do. But the last time I went, it was for my 4 years old guinea pigs you stopped eating and had to have his teeth cut. :(
Well, it was 8 $$ to cut the teeth, plus he did a check up (he barely did anything...) 40 $$ + he had to have some antibiotics at 30 $$. so...78 $$ !!!
so every month I don't know how much I spent, but my mom gets a bag of lettuce (approx. 4$$) every week, carrots, apples, parsley etc. but there not for the guinea pigs, but I take some any ways :p
Every month in food : 7 $$ for the nutriphase pelets (i need to get oxbow), 1 bag of bedding (12$$), a big bag of timothy hay (9$$).
For x-mas they got a new cozy (they love it !) it was 15$$. plus they got bermuda hay and some treats (they don't get anymore cause I now know it's very bad for them..)

I had a question, it's doesn't really go in this but kind of...
I'm going to foster piggys, and it says that foster homes get a discount on food and bedding. is it a card or something ? Does anybody who was (or is) a foster home has a discount ? How does it work ?

lynns2pigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Not bad at all!

3luckyducks

Cavy Slave
I haven't even had mine a month yet, but I don't find them very expensive.

My monthly projections
Bedding (fleece, old towels, re-washable) - $0
Veggies - $18
Pellets - $12
Bluegrass Hay - $7.50, if they go through 6lbs a month.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
bedding...I use fleece......$0
shavings for their hidey 1 large bag $26.00 a month
Pellets Oxbow..12.99 every week an a half (for 5 boars))
Hay...heck a bale is 7.00 dollars...lasts me months.
veggy's 15.00 dollars a week kess in the summer as I grow my own.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.