Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine just adopted gp, need help

Oscar&Edgar

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

Our pig of three years recently died. He was a family pet, and we knew we wanted to open our home to another pig. We found a cute lil guy on craigslist and adopted him, we've only had him since Tuesday evening, so he has been with us for three days. He is about a year old. Everything seems great with him, he has a great appetite - loves lettuce, apples, carrots, parsley & cucumber in addition to his timothy hay & pellets. But once we switched his bedding to fleece I started noticing white spots inside his fleece cozy's and in the corners of the cage (C&C 2x4 grid). I'm very worried, my kids are already attached to this guy, and we would all be devastated if he was sick. I know some white spots can be normal, but there seems to be a LOT of white spots in the cage and that is what has me concerned.

I know that the white spots can be bladder sludge, but the fresh urine does not feel gritty, although it does leave caked white residue on the fleece. We've eliminated anything that is high in calcilum, but what else can we do? He seems healthy, not terribly active, but I am chalking that up to him being a little nervous as he gets to know his new environment. I have never seen him drink from his water bottle, again - when I am in there trying to watch him he seems very nervous and just wants to hide, so I'm not sure how accurate that observation is.

Any suggestions?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.