Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anyone Else Angry At Kaytee Comp. ???!

lipglossartist
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
I have had bad experiences with Kaytee products too. The bedding that I got was horrible! I even got splenters in my hand just from grabbing a handful. I had to use towles for their cage until I could get it returned.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Wow. Kaytee really sucks! Glad I don't buy anything from their company, hmm.
Though I did notice that their Aspen came in smaller bags than usual. I don't buy aspen though, I get Kiln Dried Pine. That really pisses me off that they put Cedar chips in the Aspen... what a load of morons, eh?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I've noticed awhile back that Kaytee was only in it for profit. That's why they market unsafe foods, beddings, give out ridiculous advice about how much hay to feed (half a handful a day!), their hay was rather dry, etc. I will not buy Kaytee products, as some of you may remember me posting.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Yes, I agree with you MN, they do give out crappy advice. I don't buy their products either and will not, I'm not going to support their crappy company...

lipglossartist
lipglossartist

kalrik

Cavy Slave
That's so weird because I just bought a huge bag of Kaytee Aspen, and I was thinking, Man does this stuff smell bad. It felt damp too (Isn't that weird?) so I had to let it air dry before I put my pigs in their cage. I am changing to fleece after this bag is done. The smell did it. What a coincidence.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I used to use their hay, but then I looked at OxBow's hay, and it was so incredibly different. About 50 percent of Kaytee hay was brown and it smelled bad, and Oxbows was green and smelled really fresh. I stay away from Kaytee products now, but sometimes I put Kaytee hay(that I make sure isn't moldy, even though they don't use it) beneeath there houses to make comfy beds for them.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
Kalrik, I too noticed a strange smell and dampness with the large bags of aspen.
It never occured to me that it was cedar in there. How do you know it was cedar?
I know the quality of the bedding goes up and down and I recently took 2 of the extra large bags back to the store and got a refund. I would be more than happy to complain on a corporate level.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
Out of shear desperation I purchased a bag of Kaytee Aspen shavings. The actual pieces of wood are so small, they are more like little particals! If I dont like them, I'm sure my piggies dont too! They dont absorb as much, and they scatter everywhere when my pigs run around. I only purchased them because that's all they had at the store I go to (The only one in the area that doesnt sell animals!). I'll never do that again!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I noticed that too. Just before I found out that regular pine is bad for any small animals I would get a bag thats nice and soft and dry. Then the next time I got one it was rough, wet and smelly. I went to a feed store and they make sure that the amount is right. I paid 9.50 for a 9.0 cubic feet of aspen bedding from a local feed store.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
How do I find out if I have a local feed store? I live in a big city, and I know there are not many farms around. . . I need to find a place to get bedding and supplies and whatnot. Any advice for how to find one?

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
When in doubt, check the yellow pages! Lol, I got in touch with mine because they belong to our Parish.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I thought the same thing that you did kalirk.Look it up in the yellow pages under feed store. Good luck also ask them if they carry timothy hay as well. they sell them cheaper than the store.

Faunn

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
I have had a problem with their hay recently. It used to be pretty good, but now it seems as dry and brown as the off brands. They even started packaging it to where you think you are looking at green hay inside, but it's just a picture!

I use shredded bills/newspapers for litter, so I don't know about that. But, I'm very disappointed in the hay.

Let me know if I can help,
Marie

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.