Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from 'Down Under'

lucylamingtons

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

My name is Lucy and I have been the owner of my very first Guinea Pig since Sunday 18th January 2009 :love:

Nice to join you all, I've read all of the rules and I have to say...this is a very regulated board and I'll try my best to make sure I stick to non-chat typing. It'll be hard after years of posting on very free boards but I'll do my best hehehe.

I have a confession to make : I am a cat person. Please, don't hold this against me! My partner LOVES Guinea Pigs and had them when he was little in Hungary. On Sunday we went to this HUGE petstore (the biggest in Sydney if not NSW I think) and he fell in love with our new Guinea Pig. We named him Maximus Alvin (Maxi for short) (Alvin coz he looks like a chipmunk! Or a squirrel...but I don't know any famous cartoon squirrels).

Maxi is approximately 8 weeks old and has a chestnut coloured face with a darker brown body. He is an Abyssinian Guinea Pig and very beautiful. However, being very different to kittens, I am at a bit of a loss with Maxi and his very un-cat-like behaviour!

I have found a post in another discussion section that I will add my queries onto. I hope to be chatting soon with all of you and picking your brains about Guinea Pigs.

L

P.S. I have attached a photo of Maxi to this post - if it is too big I apologise.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Welcome. What a cute piggie.

We usually recommend people adopt from a shelter or rescue, not buy from a pet shop here. I think there are some rescues near you if you want to adopt him a buddy.

lucylamingtons

Cavy Slave
I went to the RSPCA and they didn't have any Guinea Pigs at that time - just beautiful kitties and puppies but I am not allowed to have them.

Also, It was pushing our luck to get one baby Guinea Pig let alone two! Our landlord is a strict one! But hopefully later. I have two cats - that stay in the family home - and we rescued them from the RSPCA. But the store I bought them from isn't one of *those* pet stores. It's a great place, but like I said I'm all for the RSPCA and I hope to eventually get a buddy for Maxi and that's the first place i'll look.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Well, just keep in mind the dangers of pet stores. I would take him to a vet, regardless of what type of pet store he was from. Anyway, welcome, and Maxi is extremely cute indeed!

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
The only thing "too" about him is he's too cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.