PDA

View Full Version : Impaction Impaction

Susan613
01-20-09, 10:05 pm
Is it normal for a Guinea Pig to be impacted a lot. My Guinea Pig is 4 years old. He goes normal throughout the day, but he gets impacted almost every night. Tonight I heard him make a crying noise and I looked at him and he was all impacted. So, I cleaned him out with a little mineral oil. I thought maybe its from too much greens, so I cut back the greens a little, but he still gets impacted. He has lots of hay and pellets during the day. I feel bad for the little guy.

Paula
01-20-09, 10:07 pm
Not normal, necessarily, but not unheard of.

Guinea Lynx :: Impaction (http://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html)

rabbitsncavyluv
01-20-09, 10:23 pm
Some males will develop it as they age.

Has he lost any weight? Is he showing signs of arthritis?

Crying when pooping can be a sign of stones or UTI too.

Susan613
01-20-09, 10:46 pm
Some males will develop it as they age.

Has he lost any weight? Is he showing signs of arthritis?

Crying when pooping can be a sign of stones or UTI too.

He hasn't lost any weight and he eats good. I think he was crying because he had so much stool that he couldn't push it out. Once I cleaned him he went normal, but it was small poops. I don't know if he pees, because the fleece absorbs it, but I'll keep a eye on it. I never really thought of arthritis, but sometimes he does move a little slower sometimes, but he still runs around when I pick him up. I guess you can't give Guinea Pigs glucosamine or anything like that, can you?

Paula
01-20-09, 10:50 pm
I think he would need xrays to determine arthritis, and I bet your vet could give you something to help his pain if that's what it is.

wigglesgiggles1
01-21-09, 07:45 am
I would take him to the vet and see what they say.

Susan613
01-21-09, 09:55 am
I think he would need xrays to determine arthritis, and I bet your vet could give you something to help his pain if that's what it is.

The last time I took him to the vet when he was funny breathing noises, they said he was fine but if I wanted to have x-rays they would have to anesthetize him. I'm not going to put him at risk for a x-ray. Its one thing if a animal is very difficult and its the only way, but to make it their policy to anesthetize everything and put the animals at risk even if you don't know if the animal is going to be good for it or not is just stupid.

salana
01-23-09, 07:50 pm
Yes, you can give guinea pigs glucosamine.

Susan613
01-23-09, 08:55 pm
Yes, you can give guinea pigs glucosamine.

Thats interesting, I didn't know that. I was thinking when I pick him up, he kicks with his back legs. I hope that hasn't hurt him. I try to make sure to be really careful picking him up. He still runs around and is active. I love having my Guinea Pig and birds, but I always worry about them more than the dogs or cat thinking that they are more fragile.

salana
01-23-09, 09:16 pm
Jackie takes Cosequin for his arthritis. Once a day, half a capsule mixed with baby food (carrots are a favorite, and so are green beans) and pellets, split between him and his mom. He also takes Metacam, 0.15ml once a day. I've noticed a huge improvement with metacam plus cosequin, vs metacam alone.

ZiggyMama
01-24-09, 01:15 pm
My Ziggy is about 3 years old and came to me from the rescue with poop issues. I disimpact him about 3-4 times or more per week. I hold him over the toilet usually and gently milk the stool out of his sack. He has a great diet which has helped a little but I know it is something we will live with the rest of his life.

Susan613
01-26-09, 07:53 pm
I keep telling him its a good thing he is cute and I like him to be his personal butt wiper. I guess it comes with the job of being a Guinea Pig slave.

Mhera
01-27-09, 12:56 am
Wow, impaction sounds scary. I'm glad I have all girls!

Susan613
02-02-09, 07:28 pm
Does softeners that they give cats for constipation, laxatone or lactulose, help?

salana
02-03-09, 12:17 am
I wouldn't try them. They're formulated for cats, and are probably full of fish flavors and such. Besides, the problem with pigs isn't so much constipation, it's what happens when the poop actually hits the butt.

More hay, more exercise, and frequent checking are the basic steps to combating impaction for pigs.

Susan613
02-03-09, 11:16 am
More hay, more exercise, and frequent checking are the basic steps to combating impaction for pigs.

I wish I could get him to exercise more. He is a cuddle bed potatoe, especially now since its gotten colder here in Florida. He is so lazy that he will move his cuddle bed next to his pellets and hay, so he can sit it his bed and eat. He might be a Guinea Pig, but all males are the same.

salana
02-03-09, 03:00 pm
Does he have a friend to play with?

Susan613
02-05-09, 08:28 pm
No, he is a only pig and I feel bad because he is very friendly and likes other animals. I know he would love a little friend. I probably should look into getting another one.