PDA

View Full Version : Matress pad/Underbedding question!

Opalinesque
01-20-09, 07:46 pm
Edit: So of course I notice that there's a bedding specific forum right after posting this. I'm reposting over there, so feel free to ignore this (or delete if you're a mod). Sorry about that!

So, after keeping two boypigs in a 6 ft. diameter kiddy pool for a year and a half (and the bottom getting revolting. Stupid nonslip-textures) I'm getting two of these (http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Midwest-Homes-For-Pets-171GHP-MDW1248.html). They're quite obviously based off of the CC cages sold here, and although not quite as customisable, they'll be easier on me (let me just say my last attempt at making a CC cage should never be mentioned again, and the shipping to get one from here is a little high, sadly). HOWEVER, this is not the question.

The thing is, is when I make the move, I'm switching to fleece! Which is wonderful and my wallet/pigs will thank me, but I'm still trying to figure out what sort of underbedding to use. I've seen people mention mattress pads; what kind? I've looked at the matress pads available at Target, and they all looked too fancy. I'm guessing I'd probably want one for a crib, with a waterproofed bottom or something like that; can anybody point me toward a link to a brand/picture so I can get a good idea what to look for? And should I still use towels on top of it? All opinions/thoughts/whatever are more than welcome!

3luckyducks
01-20-09, 10:51 pm
Can the thing that divides it be taken out?
I see they make this one for $39 with out the fancy stuff in the middle.
Two of those should be great for 16 square feet.
Midwest Homes For Pets 171GH - Guinea Habitat (http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Midwest-Homes-For-Pets-171GH-MDW1247.html#ProdDetails)

Anyways, I am curious to as to where people find matress pads as well.
Right now I am using 2 30"x30" fleece baby blankets from the dollar tree. Underneath that is one large bath towel. Underneath that is 3 puppy pads.

pigsforlife
01-21-09, 04:50 am
I have 4 layers of towels underneath a layer of fleece. It works brilliantly and lasts me a good 3-4 days (I change their cage twice a week). I did use puppy pads for awhile and while they worked ok they were very expensive on a shorterm (and longterm) basis. I had a mattress protector at one stage, that was a hassle. Towels works for me!

camende
01-21-09, 07:55 am
I use mattress pads. Look for the cheapest you can find. Do NOT get anything with a waterproof bottom. The whole point of the fleece is to wick the moisture away from the piggies.

I only buy mattress pads on sale. I found some at Walmart for about $10. Sometimes JC Pennies have matress sales. Look for them. I don't spend more then $15 for a mattress pad.

If you get a queen size, you can fold it in half and it fits a 2-grid wide C&C cage perfectly and you have 2 layers of mattress pads.

Adorable
01-21-09, 09:02 am
I have a couple mattress pads but I more or less use them for airflow and cushioning because I donít really understand the point of having polyester batting under the fleece. I add a layer of towels on top and, with pads under the hideys, I can get about 10 days out of my fleece. My cages have all been oversized for two pigs though.

I would disagree about getting the cheapest you can find, unless you are going to also use towels, because a poly/cotton fabric on the mattress pad isnít going to pull wetness from the fleece. 100% cotton material is going to cost more and I think itís worth an extra $10-15 because they do hold up well. Marshallís, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. are great places to get high end ones for less money and I actually got my favorite one on sale at IKEA. You can also add a layer of flannel between the fleece and mattress pad to help wick.

If C&C cages give you assembly trouble, closet shelving is also an option. All it takes is some zip ties in the corners and youíre ready to go. While I appreciate the customization of cubes, I have 3 young children and they never give me more than a few uninterrupted minutes so I went straight to the shelving for my latest cage. It saved my brain and my fingers a lot of pain.

Opalinesque
01-21-09, 01:39 pm
3luckyducks: I'm actually getting one with the divider (which I may or may not use, depending on how well a seperate kitchen area works with my boys) and then the other one you linked without.

Adorable: Haha, it wasn't the cubes that gave me trouble, it was the coroplast. It wouldn't cut the way I wanted it, and the final product looked terrible and leaked. If I remember correctly, for a while at the end I just laid it flat and put the cube fence on top of it, which probably wasn't very safe. Fortunately, my mother got fed up and purchased the swimming pool I mentioned to keep them in.

In the end, I actually went with the rewashable incontinence guards they sometimes put on hospital beds. I'll be testing these with varying amounts of towels to see how it goes. Thanks for all your input!

3luckyducks
01-21-09, 05:47 pm
Wow, the rewashable incontinence guards is a great idea! They can soak up a LOT. I used them when I was a CNA.

Adorable
01-21-09, 09:02 pm
I have some Coroplast in the kitchen but I made my husband cut it this time but I did a horrible job last time. In fact, if someone hadn't given me a full sheet for free, I was going to find a way to use stick-on vinyl tiles.

The rest of my cage is fleece and I just lay the cage on top to hold it down so there's no Coroplast there.

gooberific
01-22-09, 10:20 am
Wow, the rewashable incontinence guards is a great idea! They can soak up a LOT. I used them when I was a CNA.

That's very true. I'm going to have to see if I can get my hands on some. For now, though, my mom gives me a pack or two of the disposables. I cut them to size in the litter areas and put carefresh on top.

mom929
01-22-09, 01:04 pm
I got washable incontinence pads off of ebay like these

6 Washable incontinence pads Puppy House training Dog - eBay (item 250352973607 end time Feb-04-09 18:40:56 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250352973607&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=400013737465&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DCR%252BUCI%2 6otn%3D4%26ps%3D42)

I put them on the bottom of the cage, then put two layers of towel over the top and then the fleece. It's working fabulously. I got bath towels at a going out of business sale for $1 each. Got the fleece for $12 for 6 yards (enough for 3 changes of my cage plus a huge floor time area). I spent $20 including shipping on 3 bedpads, which just happened to be the exact size of my cage floor, so they were the most expensive thing. But I've never once had a spot of dampness on the coroplast and never once had to wipe it out. So very worth the investment in my opinion.

Your wallet will thank you. And the environment will thank you because you will not have to throw out a single thing.

ZiggyMama
01-22-09, 01:54 pm
I bought 2 piggy bedspreads from someone off this forum who makes them. They are layered with great stuff to keep the pigs dry and absorb urine. They are the best thing ever!!

Opalinesque
01-23-09, 12:16 am
I got mine from medsupplyco.com-- two 34 x 52 in pads were around $20 total. I'm getting two 47 x 24, so I'll be able to cut them down to size/sew them to fit the walls. I considered buying piggy bedspreads, but I forgot who here sewed them. Both the cage and the mattress pads should get here next Wednesday. I'm pretty excited, especially since I recently measured the pool the boys are currently in and found out it's actually closer to 7.5 square feet, rather than the 10-12 I thought it was. And there are two pigs in there! I feel kind of terrible, but at least I'll be moving them into a nice roomy cage soon.