PDA

View Full Version : For all those who use fleece:

kalrik
01-16-05, 11:38 am
I am allergic to either the hay or the aspen bedding that I am giving my pigs. I can't do anything about the hay, but I figure if I get rid of the woodchips, it'll help a little bit. I am going to try out fleece, and am hoping that not only will I stop being so itchy but it'll be cheaper. One question I haven't found in the fleece threads is: How often do you long time fleece users need to replace the fleece? Do they fall apart eventual from constant washing?

Also does anyone know where to get a big plastic tablecloth, you know, the kind that is plastic on the top and soft on the bottom. Does anyone know where to get cloth baby diapers too?

RustBottum
01-16-05, 02:46 pm
You could probably get the table cloth at the dollar store or walmart.

John4216
01-16-05, 03:04 pm
Hopefully your not planning on using the plastic table cloth in the cage...you want to keep the water away from the piggies which is what the fleece does...using fleece and then newspaper or the pads other talk about is best as the urine passes through the fleece (unlike towels) and is absorbed in to the newspaper which helps keep it off the piggies.

I know so far I have saved a good amount of $$ using fleece and very much think the piggies like it as they would burrow through the wood shavings and lay on the paper plus the dust made the one sneeze/choke and now I haven't heard a sneeze from her with the fleece.

kalrik
01-16-05, 03:52 pm
I was thinking of using the tablecloth for part of the floor time area. Have you had to replace the fleece yet? How often do you wash it?

Ly&Pigs
01-16-05, 05:09 pm
Fleece washes well and will last a long time. They make blankets, jackets, shirts, gloves, etc. out of it as well.

The tablecloth with something over it like towels, fleece or some cheap polyester fabric would be good for floortime. Look at the local dollar stores or somewhere like Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart. You can use a large shower curtain instead.

Newspaper or puppy pads or mattress pads or towels are good to put under the fleece in the cage to absorb moisture.

You will need several changes of fleece. Changing it out depends on how many piggies you have. I found that with one piggie I could leave the fleece down for about a week 2 piggies it lasts about 5 days and for 3 or more piggies its about every 3 sometimes 4 days depending on how much they potty in their potty box. I have to do laundry at the laundromat so I only wash every two weeks but I wash several changes of fleece at once. If you have a machine at home then you would wash once a week. Just have a designated basket or something to put piggie laundry in and wash as often as you need to.

Poohbear
01-16-05, 05:18 pm
When I put fleece for my cavies at night once and then I woke up in the morning it was covered with poop and pee. It was soo bad I had to throw it out. Now I just use it for the loft and ramp/

AngelsCavies
01-16-05, 11:49 pm
You may have to sweep the poops up. Also you should have a litter box with bedding in it so they go potty. I have 7 boys in one and 16 girls in the other. They use the litter box well. I still sweep their poops up everyday. I wash the fleece once a week. I wash 2 fleece once a week. I was changeing the fleece every 3 days but I might be able to do every 4 days though. I used a store bought cage bottom as a litter box for my girls cause I have so many and I got a strong sturdy dish washing pan from the dollar store for the boys and my 2 bunnies. I use door mats as a ramp and 2nd level. The first 2 days you may get alot of poops and smelly pees at first cause they are used to be in bedding all day.

John4216
01-20-05, 09:00 pm
I have 6 piggies now and I use fleece. Every night I take the current fleece up, go out back and shake it all off and put it back. I was the fleece every 2 days though I could probably go 3 days before washing it. I change the newspapers under it every 2 days also but I use a really thick layer of newspaper. So far it works well, no smells or anything. For floor time I just lay towels uner pigloo's (folded in 1/2) and that is the only place they will go...I'll be adding pictures of the piggies bedroom this weekend if you want to view it.

AngelsCavies
01-21-05, 11:46 pm
I cant just simply take mine out and shake it everyday cause I have 22 piggies and a very large cage with a divider for the boys to be separated from the girls. I use a broom brush and dustpan to clean their poops up but you can always get a small tank vac to suck up the poops.

coolcavies
01-24-05, 06:47 am
On the subject of fleece for bedding - I'm also allergic to wood shavings. My pigs live in the shed (well, they own it ;)) but I have two in my room now, because one of them - Whisky - is quite old and wasn't coping too well with being out there in winter. Having the cage in my room when I'm asleep is making me feel pretty ill, and I'm trying to persuade my mum to let me use fleece or vetbed for their bedding, but she won't let me because she doesn't want to be doing the pig's washing all the time. She says it'd need changing and washing every day - but does it? Could it really go for five days without needing a change? If we only had to do one or two washes a week I think she might agree..

kalrik
01-24-05, 08:21 am
I am going to be changing to fleece as soon as I save up enough to go buy some. I hope my last bag of aspen will last through the next couple weeks. What I plan on doing is buying a whole lot, and making several changes. I am going to get a plastic bin to put piggy laundry in, and do it every third change which should be about a week to nine days. I have two pigs right now, but will have three once I start using the fleece, so I can't predict how much more soiled it will be. If you make more changes of fleece, you could probably go by with doing wash less frequently.

AngelsCavies
01-24-05, 03:55 pm
I go 5 days without washing the fleece cause my piggers are now using the litter pan all the time. When I first started using fleece I had to change it every 3 days because they wernt used to using fleece with litter pan. I wash 2 fleece at a time because their cages are really big. It cleans better when I only wash 2. Everytime I change the 2nd fleece It gets washed with the washable carpets I use for the ramp and the feeding loft. They are getting theirs changed either tonight or tomorrow night.

Ly&Pigs
01-24-05, 04:26 pm
In my own experiences, for pigs who aren't litter trained the fleece can last 1 pig up to 7 days, 2-3 pigs up to 5 days and 4 pigs up to 3-4 days. Not all my girls use the litter pan for peeing. If you spot clean at least once every day the fleece stays much cleaner. There was one time earlier this month that I wasn't able to spot clean the cage because I wasn't feeling well at all and it was left for about 3 days and it was a complete mess with poop everywhere and I could smell a mild poop smell.

Even changing the fleece every 3-4 days, I don't notice any bad odors coming from their cage. I have put my nose up to the fleece that has stayed in there for days and it will only slightly smell if it smells at all. I use one layer of medium weight fleece with newspaper and puppy training pads or incontinence pads underneath.

I think if you just have the two pigs in your room then you could easily get by with washing fleece once per week, just have a couple of changes of it. It majorly cuts down the cost of bedding as well as helps with the allergies.

dansamy
02-08-05, 11:37 pm
I will address the cloth baby diaper question, as I have cloth-diapered all 3 of my kids. The best cloth dipes are 100% cotton twill or hemp Diaper Service Quality diapers. You can buy them online. eBay has good prices. Search for "DSQs" or "Chinese DSQ". They generally run $20 per dozen, and they willl last for HUNDREDS of washing. Since I still have some dipes left, I will try this fleece bedding thing. The shavings are driving me crazy! Here is a link to just one site: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm

Amelia

snosnhoj
02-10-05, 07:16 am
I am serioiusly considering trying fleece. My son has 2 piggies and the youngest one does seem to sneeze sometimes with the shavings we use now. After reading the one post about a pig that sneezes, well maybe that is my pigs problem too. Just one question, how do you keep the fleece down? I mean, my pigs get a little excited and run, jump and do twist. I'm afraid that they will have the fleece up in bunches and not covering the bottom of the cage. Thanks for the advice in advance.

kalrik
02-10-05, 07:57 am
You can sew velcro on the fleece, and put it on the coroplast.