PDA

View Full Version : My c&c cage, round 1.

3luckyducks
01-17-09, 09:18 pm
Hello all,
I just adopted two beautiful boars today from a rescue. I am still perfecting my cage and I have a long way to go until I get "there".

I am going to explain my cage and please offer me any advice on how I can spice things up.

My grids are from bed bath and beyond. I used a 20% coupon mailer and they came to around $11.99 before tax.

Coroplast was $20 from my local sign shop. It was 4x8.

My original plan was to do a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft. So that's why in the picture there is a half finished loft, I need more cubes. However, I changed my mind and using the spare cubes I will make a 2x5 for them.

I thought a 2x4 cage was going to be huge, but now that the piggies are actually inside, it seems far too small.

My fleece plan failed miserably. I was up late last night cutting fleece. Somehow, I messed up and it was several inches short. So I have to whip out my sewing machine to get a piece that fits nicely. Then start cutting more.

In the meantime I have newspaper and some aspen bedding.

I currently have 1 water bottle, not sure If I should get 2?

Also, I have a cute basket I bought at Target in the dollar valentine section for their hay. I caught them both in it eating earlier. I think it works great but please let me know if it's not okay.

I am going to put an additional hay area once I expand to a 2x5 tomorow. (Not looking forward to cutting more coroplast, it was a pain in the butt)

As you can see I have a small dog type bed in there. (Target clearance for 7 bucks). It is so comfortable but it takes up a lot of space it seems. Which is why I am expanding, It's too comfy looking to get rid of it.

I also have a ferret hammock I bought, but it is not up. Any ideas of where I can put the hammock once I expand, or should I leave it out?

Sorry this was long winded.
Pictures below:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/OnesOnTheWay/IMG_8533.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/OnesOnTheWay/IMG_8536.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/OnesOnTheWay/IMG_8538.jpg

5guinea5pig5
01-17-09, 09:20 pm
Great design I love it.

starshine123102
01-17-09, 09:44 pm
I would maybe get a second water bottle.

I don't know about your pigs I know all the ones I've had LOVED to flip their food bowls as well as sit and poop/pee in it while they ate. I would get something they can't flip or easily sit in.

Try hanging the hammock in a corner. You may need to modift it though. Or you can leave the base of the loft you had and hang it from there.

Great looking cage though!

3luckyducks
01-17-09, 09:47 pm
I don't know about your pigs I know all the ones I've had LOVED to flip their food bowls as well as sit and poop/pee in it while they ate. I would get something they can't flip or easily sit in.

That's what I am waiting for! The food bowl in the pictures was on sale at Target today for .88 cents! I am a bargain shopper. I figured I'd see if they tip it over or not. If they do, I'll go to good will and get a heavy pet dish :)

I'll add an additional water bottle, thanks.

5guinea5pig5
01-17-09, 09:50 pm
I am a bargain shopper.

Most of us are :p

3luckyducks
01-18-09, 11:45 am
Here's my first update, please learn from my mistakes!

That "cute" basket from Target did not work out so well. As I've read they like to pee on their hay, but what happened is the red dye on the basket bled out. So all the bottom newspaper was red. Yeah, not such a good idea!

Oh well, I am learning..