Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I'm new and my guinea pig had Babies!

Babycakes623

Cavy Slave
I bought my male from a lady on craigslist and she said he was 6 months old.

Then we bought a female at a feed store and she was 3 months old.

I didn't think about her getting pregnant and Ive had them about 9 months now. And we woke up this morning to 3 babies!!!

I have the mom and the babies in a cage and the dad in his own?

I'm not sure what to do I dont know how to care for the babies?!?!

Help would be great.

-New member Amber.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

Babycakes623

Cavy Slave
I separated them about 2 or 3 weeks ago so there's no way she could be pregnant again. Yes I bought them without researching there genetics.

Do I need to separate the babies from the mother now? or are they suppose to be together?

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
I don't think she bought them to intentionally breed them rabbitsncavyluv - she said she didn't think about the sow getting pregnant.

Amber, you should now read as much as you can from the links that rabbitsncavyluv gave you. Do the babies seem healthy and active? How about the mother?

And remember to 1. adopt next time, and 2. not to allow breeding to happen again.

Babycakes623

Cavy Slave
Yes, I definitely did not buy them to breed them. Oh I wont let her to get pregnant again its going to be hard enough having 5 guinea pigs now I cant have any more even if they are cute.

Mother is fine shes been eating a lot and walking around cage with babies.
The babies are VERY active.

Can the dad see the babies?

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
It's best to keep the babies with mommy because if they want milk and are with dad they can't get it. If you have any male babies and the vet says there male, you'll have to have them in a seperate cage (or with dada).

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
And by the way, if the father was in the same cage as the mother during birth, there is a good chance of her being pregnant again. After a sow gives birth, she immediately goes into heat. So if the babies were born in the middle of the night, and you don't know when, and the father was in the cage long enough after the birth, then she may be pregnant again. You won't be able to tell until she's almost ready to give birth again.

Babycakes623

Cavy Slave
I have had the parents seperated for 3 weeks now because he wouldn't leave her alone.
So there is no chance shes pregnant.

Do I have to take them to the vet to sex them?

Should I put a water dish in the cage? I thought about it last nite I dont know if they will figure out the water bottle.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Pups I would just lower the water-bottle they'll eventually figure it out. Nursing piggers and puppies can have alfalfa pellets too!

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put a water dish in the cage, I'd worry about the babies drowning and guinea pigs don't tend to keep water dishes very clean. They'll figure out the water bottle.

You can take them to the vet to have them sexed [mommy and babies should have a vet check-up anyways] but if you're confident enough you can also sex them yourself. There is a page on cavyspirit.com on how to do it: Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig
You'll want to separate any male babies from females at 21 days of age so you don't end up with dozens more babies.
Make sure if you take them to a vet you take them to a competent exotics vet. You can ask your local House Rabbit Society chapter who they take their rabbits to, typically a good rabbit vet is a good cavy vet. Unfortunately there aren't any HRS chapters in Arizona, but there is one in San Diego. San Diego House Rabbit Society They may know of a vet near you.
Good luck.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Huh? Why did you put an unaltered male and female together in the same cage? What did you think was going to happen?

You need to leave the babies with mom. My advice was to remove the male babies when they are weaned at 21 days as they sexually mature then and can impregnate mom and any sisters. Girl babies can stay with mom.

What are you feeding them?

If you are intending to keep them all, make sure the males' cage is secure with a lid so they can't get out. They can be determined esp. when the sows' are in heat.

Babycakes623

Cavy Slave
I saw them investgating the water bottle a little bit ago so thats a good sign.

Ill defiently be seperating them in probably 16-18 days because I dont want to have any more babies or endager the mother.

Shes being very good though eating lots of hay and pellets ( I have the kind thats just pellets theres no seeds or anything in it) I have vitamin c in her water and she's had some celery,half an orange, and some italian parsley ( its her favorite) between today and yesterday.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
No viatimin c in her water. They need plain water.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
5guinea5pig5 is right. Vitamin C in their water can make it taste weird and keep them from drinking. It also degrades rapidly in water and in light. You also can't tell the amount they are getting because they all drink different amounts.
If you are feeding proper veggies and pellets they don't need vitamin c drops.
Read Ly's chart, it's a sticky in the Diet and Nutrition sub-forum.

Last edited:

Babycakes623

Cavy Slave
Ok I changed out her water so theres no more vitamin C drops in it. She gets a lot of vegtables and fruits she LOVES oranges so thats gotta be plenty of vitamin C. You guys are very helpful:D

breezy2

Cavy Slave
Determining the sex of the babies can be very difficult, unless you are absolutely sure, take them to a vet to be sexed. I think 5 will be more than enough for you to look after, so be sure you have them correctly sexed and seperated by 21 days. The boys can live with Dad, but beware that some people have issues keeping both males and females in the same room, because the males fight and try to get to the females all the time. As someone has already stated a top on either the boys and/or girls cage would be a good idea. A determined boar can tend to get out of his pen and into the sows with little effort.

Babycakes623

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you for the good link. I'm lookin around the website right now getting a lot of tips.

Yes I'm gonna seperate them in 16 days or so. Well the feed store by my house (where I bought my girl) will sex your guinea pigs if you bring them in and show you how to do it so I was going to try that out.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
16 days is too early to separate.

I wouldn't trust a pet store to sex them for you. You should find a vet or local rescue, or look at the links provided.

Half an orange is too much fruit. Celery is mostly water and parsley shouldn't be fed so much.

You should feed a variety of dark leafy veggies.

Babycakes623

Cavy Slave
Well 16 days from now I will separate is what I meant because they have been alive for two days so that would make them 18 days old and I dont want them in there at 20 days if they can start to reproduce.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.