Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Urgent.. Think Diego has a UTI

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Tonight while cleaning cages, Diego was zipping around in his fleeceless cage for just a moment before I gave him floor time. The coro is white. He peed in 2 spots, most of the pee was yellow but there was red/pink in both pee puddles.

He also squeaks when he pees or poops. not a loud scream or squeak but a soft squrree squree until he's done. He's also been very grumpy but he's also an aby cross, and aby's are crabby! :)

I decided to just check his private parts, have heard about impaction and such. When his penis popped out, it had, the best word to describe it is, whitish lesions in several places and the tip of his penis also is swollen and covered with this whitish stuff. For comparison, I checked 2 other boars and they have nice pink wees, no redness or whitish stuff.

It also was very sour/foul smelling, more so than just boar butt when his wee popped out. I'm thinking UTI, and I am calling the vet tomorrow to get him in asap.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for helping!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Yes, it sounds like a UTI or stones. He needs to go to the vet straight away.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Thanks Paula. I'm calling the vet first thing.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
If you can take them to the emergency vet.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I honestly would only take him to an emergency vet if he's not peeing or if he's stopped eating or something like that. The ER vet in my area killed one of my pigs because of inexperience and I would never take another pig there without it being dire, honestly. Most of those places just don't know what fragile little creatures they are.

I WOULD get him into a vet tomorrow, though, because when he's hurting to go, there's a reason - either an infection, or a stone, and he needs some antibiotics and pain meds at least.

Good luck to you and your baby boy.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. Diego is eating fine, the vet opens in 5 minutes and I'll be calling... I've been up for an hr and a half and it's been a looong wait for 8am.
I don't care for the e-vet in my area, not only is it a 2 hr drive but they also charge an insane amount of money.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Good news, the vet had one opening left today at 3pm. I really like this vet as they do exotics and she is very knowledgable about cavies.
I'll give an update when we get home from the vet.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
https://www.chincare.com/HealthLifestyle/DHdocs/rabbitgp.doc Found some good info about UTIs in guinea pigs. You have to scroll down past the chin and rabbit info.

Now I know what that white build up is on Diego's wee. It's calcium buildup which causes inflammation and pain. Poor poor guy!
Can't wait to get him all fixed up at the vet's!

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Update: Diego DOES have a UTI

And it took a whole lot of insisting by me to get my vet to listen.
It annoys me to NO END when vets think you couldn't possibly know a single iota of information about your animal, or that you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to off behavior in your pet.

I'm NOT STUPID!
GAH!

Sorry, rant. First I explained the symptoms and that I had already taken him off the alfalfa based pellet and the orchard grass/alfalfa hay combo. She said with a condescending tone and grin that "I bet you just googled to your heart's content about guinea pigs last night!?" Uh, no. Fortunately I have you great folks, way too many books and a great friend who is a vet tech and shows her pigs.

Anyway, then she goes on to tell me that it's "just his hormones." "He's just marking his territory." Um, no, a pig slides his butt and rumblestruts about his territory, he does NOT squeak every time he pees and raises his rear in the air as he's doing so...

I also said I was concerned about his weight because he was the oldest of the group but the smallest in weight. She then went on to lecture me that my other pigs are all overweight and "in danger." Her words. I can palpate ribs just fine, they all happen to be the larger breeds (texels and a peruvian) and all are normal for their size/age. ugh.

So soon I start to insist. This is not just hormones, I am positive he's got a UTI, PLEASE do a needle draw from his bladder or express him and check for blood in his urine. I"LL PAY FOR IT!!
Yes, I'm annoyed!

Guess what? Yes, blood in his urine, white blood cells. She couldn't palpate any stones at this time (ya, because it was 'just hormones' ugh). He's on 2 weeks of antib's (she said it won't affect his GI tract, it's safe for pigs) and then needs a recheck of his urine. His meds end right on the same day that we're moving from Maryland to South Dakota, and fortunately, I know the vets there and can make an appointment for him on our arrival date.

But can you believe it? She also said that the only hay suitable for gp's is timothy hay, all the other ones are bad.

Mmm kay.

As if someone couldn't possibly know a thing about their animals!!

Shall I go on? She insisted I get them neutered asap because it's "healthier" for them.
Where's the rolly eyes smiley??

Thanks for listening.
Despite my certain annoyedness (yes it's a new word!), I am certain Diego will be on the mend soon!
:)

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Re: Update: Diego DOES have a UTI

I'm glad things will be on the up and up for little Diego. And yeah, I hate the attitude like "Who's the vet here you or me?" and not answer questions and stuff.
Ugh.

gooberific

Cavy Slave

Sadly, there are people doctors like that, too.

I'm glad you got it through her thick skull that Diego needed antibiotics. Well wishes to the little guy!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave

You know what annoys me? Vets who think you know nothing about animals. Just because they are a vet doesn't mean they know everything, and you know nothing. I hate it when they treat you that way. I bet when she found out he did have a UTI that wiped the smile right off her face.
And whats with the timothy hay thing?
Why on earth would you want to neuter him? She obviously doesn't know it doesn't change anything in them, other then the ability to get sows pregnant. And you don't house him with sows.
Sorry, but I hate it when vets are like that.

I'm glad you finally got through to her!

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave

I bet she did go from "Hahaha I think I know more about you hehe hahaha :D" to "Umm he has UTI :|". Atleast when you move you'll probably get better vets than that "vet".

Amsley246

Cavy Slave

What a B***h! I can't believe the nerve of some people, just because it's their "profession" they know it all and your wrong no matter what! Lol, you should have asked after finding out you were right, "so how are his hormones now?". If she was wrong about that, I wonder how many animals are sick or possibly die because of "horomones" and their owner taking her word on it? Dear lord! :S

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you had to go through that with the vet. I'd advise finding a new vet. Also just because they have a vet degree doesn't mean they know a lot about particular animals. This one seems to know nothing about pigs at all.

I also merged your threads together as medical threads dealing with the same condition in one pig are required to be kept in one thread and then update that thread as necessary. This way people don't have to search for the original threads to find out the whole story. So if you have more updates about Diego coming, just post them here. Thanks.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
What antibiotic did she prescribe?

Also, the white crusty stuff on his penis is most likely smegma. I have never heard of a pig getting sludge (off-white grit) inside his prepuce.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
He's on SMZ-TMP for antibiotics.

I did some reading and found that pigs with UTIs can get calcium buildup on their penis, which is painful and causes inflammation. I first thought smegma myself, but generally it wipes off easily. This stuff was really stuck to his wee, and once I got it off (warm wash cloth) there were sores underneath.

His private parts are looking all healed up now, thankfully. He also doesn't have such a strong odor about him anymore.

He's got another week of meds to go and then a new vet in a new state will have to recheck his urine.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.