PDA

View Full Version : Definitions

mncavylover
01-15-05, 05:15 pm
I just did a bit of research. Hope this clears some of the confusion up:

Pescetarian=no meat or poultry (still eat fish/seafood).

Pollotarian=no meat (still eat poultry).

Lacto-vegetarian=no meat, poultry, fish/seafood, or eggs (still eat dairy products).

Ovo-vegetarian=no meat, poultry, fish/seafood, or dairy products (still eat eggs).

Lacto-ovo vegetarian=no meat, poultry, fish/seafood (still eat dairy products and eggs).

Vegan=no meat, poultry, fish/seafood, eggs, dairy products, or animal by-products of any kind.

Fruitarian=only parts of a plant that can be eaten without harming the plant are consumed (raw fruits, nuts, and grains).

Macrobiotic=a diet usually followed for spiritual or religious reasons, progressing through ten levels that become increasingly restrictive. Not all levels are vegetarian, although the highest level eliminates fruits and vegetables, being a brown rice diet. The goal is to reach a balance of the ying (positive) and yang (negative). Foods avoided are processed foods, meat and dairy products, and refined flours and sugars. Consists primarily of whole grains, beans, and vegetables.

Josephine
01-15-05, 06:23 pm
Thanks for the list. I do use many of the terms to educate people on a routine basis.

I do want to mention that vegans don't consume any animal product of any kind. With regards to diet, this includes gelatin (in marshmallows, many candies like gummy bears, most yougurt, and other processed foods) and honey (which is used in many more natural recipes as an alternative sweetenter). Lacto-ovos and all other categories pick and choose. Some do gelatin and honey and some don't. Personally, I do eat honey, but avoid gelatin. I'm lacto-ovo.

mncavylover
01-15-05, 06:43 pm
Yes, thank you for clarifying. It's the same way with if you wear leather, fur, wool, etc.--there is some assumption that, if you're vegan, you automatically do not wear certain items or purchase certain things. However, these are totally seperate issues. While it is probably more likely for vegans to be aware of these issues, it is not necessary. Likewise, not only vegans are aware of this and others do act on it.

Thanks again!

kavykritter
01-15-05, 07:16 pm
that makes me vegan except when i am in a situation such as at a friends house and it is unavoidable to eat meat or to severely offend the host or hostess, then i eat as little as possible, what do you guys think on that type of situation?

chrishall1979
01-16-05, 09:04 am
I wouldn't eat it. If you explain that you don't eat those kinds of things, but thank them for making such a nice meal they should understand. There's no reason for them to be offended. No 2 people think exactly the same. We all have differences. They have to accept that that's one of your differences. But you can't just be vegetarian when it's convenient.

Chris

crittermom
01-16-05, 09:35 am
Kavykritter, you might find this article helpful. http://vegetariantimes.com/document_display.cfm?section_id=47&document_id=301

mncavylover
01-16-05, 12:57 pm
Thanks for the article, I've also been wondering about that.

sofiemuffins
01-18-05, 01:37 pm
I was on the Macrobiotic diet for almost a month. It was extremely hard to do. I still dont eat meat and stay away from sugar (except in my coffee-as black is nasty!)...I felt alot better on the Macrobiotic diet and am thinking of starting it again. It's a great way to see how unhealthy foods are actually affecting your every day life...

heabrook
01-19-05, 03:59 pm
that makes me vegan except when i am in a situation such as at a friends house and it is unavoidable to eat meat or to severely offend the host or hostess, then i eat as little as possible, what do you guys think on that type of situation?

I would choose to severely offend the host/hostess. I'm certainly not going to change my diet just to please someone else, not even for one meal. If they are a friend, or atleast somewhat of a decent person, then they wouldn't be offended. Don't be ashamed that your diet is different from theirs, be proud that you are intelligent enough to say NO thank you. It is simple as that. If I'm going over to someone's house for dinner, I politely inform them of my diet, and offer to bring a dish or two if that would help.