Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Advice for keeping an 8 month old with a 1.5 month old

cavyluva

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
First of all this is a great website with so much valuable information. I am a new cavy owner. We just adopted an 8 month old piggie and are now looking at adopting a friend for him. We found a baby that will be about a month and a half by the time we get him and he goes through quarantine. What are some basic rules that I should follow housing these two together? One thing that I have been confused about is the pellet and hay situation. I know that piggies under 6 months need alfalfa based pellets and alfalfa hay, but older than 6 months need to have timothy. Will they just leave each others food alone?

frescchurch

Cavy Slave
When I got my baby and already had a boar, I had to separate them until the baby was off alfalfa pellets. The older boar just inhaled the alfalfa pellets. The older one may also eat all the food and shove baby out of the way.
Do you have a C&C cage? I just put two grids together with a few twisty ties and used it as a divider down the middle of the cage. It gave them less room than I would have liked (each pig had a 2x2 space and they really should have 4x2), but it is only temporary. You just have to make sure they get lots of floortime so they can exercise if it cuts your cage size down as much as it did mine.
With the divider, the pigs can see each other and get to know each other through the gate, but they can't share food and can't fight. It's a great way to do a slow intro to make sure they get along, and it also keeps the food separate until your baby gets a bit older.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Timothy (or any other grass) hay is fine for both pigs. You can give the baby timothy-based pellets as well and just hand feed him some parsley.

frescchurch

Cavy Slave
I agree with akstrohm that the timothy pellets wouldn't hurt the baby, but on the other hand they won't provide him the energy he needs to grow. Alfalfa might be bad for the older guy because it could lead to obesity. Possibly if it were only temperary he could have alfalfa, but they truly can cause a lot of problems. If you absolutely can't separate them, you could try a blend of alfalfa and timothy. Just make sure they young 'un is getting enough to eat!

cavyluva

Cavy Slave
frescchurch, I do have a C&C cage and doing the separation seems like the most foolproof solution. I hate to run the risk of the baby not getting what he needs or Figgy (my older piggie) getting too much of something. They will be a tad cramped for a while when I split it up, but I will give them plenty of floor time. Thanks for your responses!

frescchurch

Cavy Slave
Figgy-what a cute name!
And you're welcome...good luck with them!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I agree with akstrohm that the timothy pellets wouldn't hurt the baby, but on the other hand they won't provide him the energy he needs to grow.

That's what the extra hand fed parsley is for. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Hope that helps!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.