Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Third nipple???

• Thread starter punkygizzylover
  • Start date

punkygizzylover

Cavy Slave
I know this must seem funny to some but is it normal for a female guinea pig to have a third nipple??? I noticed it tonight while I was checking out her underside. I really didn't notice it before! On one side of her belly she has 2 fully formed nipples and on the other she has 1. Is this a rare or normal thing? Is it related to any weird illnesses( I am being over worried I think). I really find it odd, I've never seen it before on any other pig. What do you guys think?

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I'm not positive but I think that pigs have more than 2 nipples like most other mammals such as dogs and pigs (the ones that oink). Seeing as they usually have many babies in a litter they need more nipples to feed more babies at one time.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
Yeah like starshine said it's probably normal. If it's not umm well I don't know what is wrong. Also her age? She might still be growing.

Last edited:

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs have two nipples, not more like pigs and dogs and so on. A third one would definitely be abnormal. Sometimes humans have fully formed third nipples too, though, so it's not completely out of the range of possibility, nor would it seem to be a problem in and of itself. They do not grow more with age, they are born with two (though they will develop over time).

But you're sure it's a nipple and not some kind of growth or something? Odd question but can you post pictures? Might be something to have a vet look at.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs have two nipples, not more like pigs and dogs and so on. A third one would definitely be abnormal. Sometimes humans have fully formed third nipples too, though, so it's not completely out of the range of possibility, nor would it seem to be a problem in and of itself. They do not grow more with age, they are born with two (though they will develop over time).

But you're sure it's a nipple and not some kind of growth or something? Odd question but can you post pictures? Might be something to have a vet look at.
Ditto. Cavies only have two nipples. Both boars and sows have nipples. A third one could be a birth defect if it's not something else such as a growth or something. You may want to consult a vet.

punkygizzylover

Cavy Slave
Its definitly a nipple, I don't think its a growth or anything it is in line with the other nipple. I was poking around at her again today when someone said it could be a growth but it looks exactly like the other 2. I guess its a birth defect but has anyone else heard of this happening? also I am calling my vet today and asking just to be sure I wouldnt want anything to happen to her.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Hahaha, my brother has a third nipple! It doesn't really look like a nipple, it's more like a nub a little underneath one of them but it's a nipple!

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
^ Not a pretty picture...

punkygizzylover

Cavy Slave
That is too funny haha, I called the vet and he told me that its ok as long as it doesnt get sore and it stays normal looking. He said that it is pretty rare to find a guinea pig with a third nipple although it will be completely useless to her. Well now I know why her name used to be Odd Ball, hehe, I love her, third nipple and all.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
As long as it doesn't get infected or cancerous, there's nothing wrong with a third nipple. As far as congenital problems go, it's a non-issue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.