Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Has anyone used Suede Cloth instead of fleece?

Adorable

Cavy Slave
From my cloth diaper making days (same concept), it was a great alternative and I just found a bunch that I have leftover.

It’s less clingy than fleece so I’d imagine hay and poop will be easy to shake off and it stays new looking forever. I have at least one piece that will cover the new cage and enough scraps to put under the hideys so I can clean those areas daily. Unfortunately, I must have hit a fall sale whenever I bought it because the colors are burnt orange and chocolate brown so it won’t be a very playful looking cage.

piggers_sienna

Cavy Slave
But does the cloth stay wet? The thing about fleece is that it doesnt stay wet the urine goes through to the absorbing layers

Adorable

Cavy Slave
No. It’s polyester and doesn’t absorb at all, so it works in the same way as fleece by wicking to whatever is behind it. The back side is just like a 1970’s leisure site and the face feels and looks like suede with a little more fuzz to it.

Here’s one remark from a cloth diaper fabric source from this link.

Suedecloth Diaper Fabric
Suedecloth is thinner than microfleece but has many of the same qualities that make it perfect for diaper inners. Suedecloth wicks moisture away from baby, resists staining, and does not hold poo. In addition, suedecloth does not pill and stays new-looking longer than microfleece.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Hmm looks interesting how is the cost compared to fleece?

Adorable

Cavy Slave
I’m not sure what I paid but then but it must have been at JoAnn’s and they don’t have it online. The brand name is Alova and I found it (broken link removed) with prices, along with a whole bunch of cute fleece patterns.

It's the suede cloth, not ANY kind of micro suede.

piggers_sienna

Cavy Slave
Then I don't see why not if it does the same as fleece

sukhakuli

Cavy Slave
I use suede cloth when I make diapers, so I'm planning on using it for the piggies, too. I think it feels nicer, and stays-new looking longer. Plus I already had several yards in my sewing room.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Sounds good will have to check out the stores around here for priceing.

3luckyducks

Cavy Slave
I haven't used it yet but I have a ton left over. I use to sew my daughters diapers. I just put it in the wash to use it for the piggiers.
It's SOO much nicer than fleece!

Adorable

Cavy Slave
I haven’t used my big piece for the entire cage yet but I’ve put a few scrap pieces under the hideys with a towel underneath and I love it so far. Too bad it doesn’t come in any cute patterns.

Adorable

Cavy Slave
I still haven’t used it for my main cage but I did for an intro cage yesterday. Hay was all over the place and all it took was a quick shake to get rid of everything except the tiniest pieces. I can’t say how it works for pee, because I didn’t notice whether they did outside of the litter box, but there was no wetness anywhere.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.