Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can you make this...

AnthonyL

Cavy Slave
I don't have really enough room for a 2x4 cage. So I was wondering if you can make a 2x3 cage with a 1x2 level and keep 2 guinea pigs in it as if it was a 2x4 cage?

If I can't, or should try to make more room I can try to make a 1x3 level on one of the cage's sides.

I'm guessing this has already been answered or something, but I'm not sure so yeah.

P.S This may be kinda random but if I get a dog instead of a guinea pig, I'm thinking to use the C&C cage for it instead of a small cramped up crate; which could be super cool!
P.S 2 The reason for the C&C cage for the dog is because we got carpet and I'm pretty sure he/she won't always be allowed on it!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
If you have sows you can sometimes get away with a 2x3 but I wouldn't recommend it as they may fight more. Boars must have a 2x4.

Upper levels do not count as floor space and becuase of the ramp needed to get to it count against overall floor space.

If space is tight you can try to "L" shape your cage in a corner instead of a long 2x4.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Like starshine said, for boars you need that space, because they have their moments when they are not such great buddies. I have a 2x4 for my boars, with two lofts. In those lofts I keep the food, and cozies where they sleep or hide, just to have space on that lower 2x4. The ramp takes a small space too where it reaches the floor, so you want to keep it as clear as possible for laps. I keep a box in which I carved 4 holes, one on each side, so my boars can escape from each other if they have to. And the hay too because they like it there.

Alice

Cavy Slave
Like starshine123102 and BubuCandyBlue have said it depends whether you have sows or boars.

Also you mentioned your dog possibly not being allowed onto the carpet. Well if your cage is going to be smaller that 2x4 you're going to need to give your guinea pigs regular floor time so will guinea pigs be allowed on the carpet? Or do you have somewhere else where they can get exercise and do laps seeing as their cage may not be big enough.

AnthonyL

Cavy Slave
Like starshine123102 and BubuCandyBlue have said it depends whether you have sows or boars.

Also you mentioned your dog possibly not being allowed onto the carpet. Well if your cage is going to be smaller that 2x4 you're going to need to give your guinea pigs regular floor time so will guinea pigs be allowed on the carpet? Or do you have somewhere else where they can get exercise and do laps seeing as their cage may not be big enough.
I meant the upstairs carpet is where the dog may not be allowed. The downstairs room which is like my playroom almost, is where my pet will be staying. My hamster lives in the closet thats in that room, and yes it has ventilation so its good. I could put the guinea pig cage in there but then again, it can only fit a 2x3 cage.

Bottom line is, if I get a dog/guinea pig they will both get floor time because that room doesn't have carpet but it has linoneum (I think).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.