Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Petco coming to my city

misspigglie

Cavy Slave
Hello, I just noticed that there is going to be a new Petco in my city, and I was wondering what I could be doing now to prevent piggies & other small animals from being treated horribly? I don't even know if there will be any live animals there at all, but I am getting worried. I have this idea that I could volunteer there to care for the pets, but is that really going to work? I don't know what to do, so I would appreciate some ideas. We are a small town with only 2-3 pet stores, so I know people will really be excited about the new store. Ideas greatly appreciated, thank you

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You should take care info sheets there. Don't volunteer. It only enables them. If you see anything bad, then report them or talk to the manager.

misspigglie

Cavy Slave
OK, thank you, I will.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
Well this is my idea Iam young and you might not like it but it is okay,

You should get a job there and talk to the manager about how the animals are treated to make shure the animals arnt being treated like the other petco. And just keep and eye out and see if the manager told the truth and if not report them.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Get a job at Petco, get a paycheck, and profit from the enforced captivity and suffering of the animals the *corporation* as a whole sells? Interesting idea.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should take care info sheets there.

Don't bother. They will not use them. They have their own.

Find the bulletin board. MAKE them put one up if they don't. Print out flyers from cavyrescue.com for any pigs in your area. Print out rescue flyers in general. Always go in there and make sure the flyers are up.

Honestly, I don't think there is much more you can do unless they are taking poor care of their animals.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I've put up flyers and stuff repeatedly. They always get taken down.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
wo
w probably because? I dont know!

misspigglie

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the ideas, they help me alot. Right now my printer is dead, and I have to wait until payday to get another one so I can start printing out the info. What should I print out? Thanks

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Volunteering and getting a job only enables and helps them, it does absolutely no harm. You could talk to the manager, but he could be stubborn and pig-headed. I highly doubt that anyone would bother with the care sheets. I suggest what Theresa said to do, just try to keep the customers there as informed as possible. Also, try to spread the word around your town that Petco is bad, as since the town is small, it should be easy to spread it around.

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
do not get a job there or worse yet, start volunteering, but i would say to try and spread the word about any good rescues and shelters in your area, and not just for the guinea pigs, for all of the animals, maybe see if you can get a boycott going against stores that sell live animals? i would try to give people good information on care of all animals wherever you can, maybe you can see if another store might help you there, and the shelters and rescues almost certainly will.

Hannah&Lilly

Cavy Slave
Petco isn't that bad I do know that their motto is think adoption first. I think that is how we can save most of these piggies is thinking adoption first. Anyone that works there should not tell you otherwise. They do have care sheets of their own and what I think is effective is to call the corparte for problems because the manager can just blow you off like nothing so call the number that is on all of the cages that say if you don't like the way we are treated speak to a manager or call this number. I say skip the manager and call the number. I know from experience.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Petcos motto is adoption first? That's interesting, considering that they *sell* animals as merchandise.

tenn38

Cavy Slave
Well if you're meaning to detour people from buying pigs from there, I'd say the first most effective thing to do is put a statistic of how many pigs there are in rescues, etc.
Then, the advantages of adopting rather than buying.
You could put a list of near by rescues or websites to go to.
And last but not least, include care instructions.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Petco isn't that bad I do know that their motto is think adoption first.

That is a big load of crap. Some of the Petco's may be doing adoption days but they STILL sell animals despite this. I know the ones near me do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.