Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Bottle Needed!

online1677

Cavy Slave
Ok, one day I bought a water bottle for my guinea pig I was going to buy. When me and my guinea pig came home the next week I filled the water bottle with water. I put it on the cage, but before I put it in, the water was spilling ALL OVER THE PLACE! It made my baby's bedding all WET! So then, the next week, I bought a new water bottle, took it home, filled it, and put it in the cage. When I checked to see if Demetri liked it, all I saw was him not getting water out of that water bottle at all! Now I need to buy another water bottle. I checked on petco.com and looked at all the water bottles, but most of the comments where bad. Where can I find a nice water bottle! Please someone tell me! :sad: I'm stressed!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I am not sure if they make these anymore, but Farnam makes a really sturdy 32 oz. rabbit bottle. It is clear with purple bunnies on it.
Mine didn't start leaking until about 3 months ago, and I have had it for almost 4 years. I am going to continue looking for one. If I find one, I will let you know.
But I know Farnam makes other bottles. Farnam make some good animal stuff! :D
I would suggest getting a bottle that holds more than 16 oz. of water. I personally like the bottles that are 32 oz. or more because me and my family go away most weekends in the Spring, Summer, and Fall, so for the weekends, the big bottles work quite nicely.

online1677

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I also have another question. I just bought a C&C cage today online, when will it come to my door?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I use a Lixit water bottle. Mine is purple with white animals printed on the outside. It also has a plastic turtle that floats on the water inside to show you the water level without having to knock the bottle around. It doesn't leak and I really like it. I also used a Critter Canteen in the past, but it leaked too much.

It'll probably take a week or two for your C&C to come in. I'm sure you'll get some sort of notice sent to your email.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what brand mine are but if you want one that doesn't leak I found the spring loaded ones to be best. One of mine is blue with white animals and the other is flat clear blue plastic with a duck inside to check the water level. They all will leak a little bit at the beginning while the vaccum forms though. Also to keep it from leaking in the future you have to fill them with room temperature water. Otherwise the metal expands and contracts until it distorts and the ball won't stop the water anymore.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Between all my cages I have just about every type of water bottle you could find, and to some extent they all leak. The best I've found are the Lixit.

It could be that your pig is playing with the bottle, I have some that do that. If the pig is playing in the water, s/he's doing something that's causing it to drain and unless you can find a remedy for that.

I also prefer the 32 oz. bottles, but whatever you decide on, the water needs to be changed out daily, just like a dog or cat's bowl. It's not a good idea to leave water in their bottle until they drink it - they should have fresh, clean water every day.

AngieW

Cavy Slave
The guinea pigs we got last week were from a rescue group. They used water bowls exclusively. We decided to try using a water bowl instead of water bottles, and it has been much easier. As long as you use a tip-proof bowl, the water won't spill out. Since we're using towels as bedding, we don't have problems with litter getting in. If hay or other food ends up in the water, it takes just seconds to dump it out in the sink and put in fresh water. The bowls are also a lot easier to clean thoroughly at the end of the day.

I never would have thought of having guinea pigs drink from a bowl instead of a bottle if I hadn't seen it at the rescue. All the guinea pigs we've had previously have used bottles. I know that I had problems with our previous guinea pigs emptying out their water bottles into the litter in short order by playing with the spout. We also had lots of problems with water bottles leaking.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Small pet water bottle with no-drip, no-leak, sanitary features

I have two of those exact 16 ounce bottles in my c&c cage for my 3 girls. I've seen those bottles in 32 ounces somewhere, so I'll probably get one of those as the 16ounce ones get used up fairly quickly even though I change their water daily. These do not leak hardly anything at all, seriously! They do not leak unless you tilt them on their back, because for air ventilation they have a tiny little hole in the neck. A bit over-priced imo, but well worth it.

You can fit bottle brushes in them too, plus they're dishwasher safe! I heard a while ago that guinea pigs will drink more if you use a bottle instead of a bowl, so I would never use a bowl, but it's up to you.
Good luck!!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The secret to a ball bearing water bottle is to fill it to the brim so it gets a good vacuum seal. If you don't do this, 99% of the time the bottle will leak.

online1677

Cavy Slave
Hey! I just bought a C&C cage THREE WEEKS ago! It's still not here! What's with the hold up?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Small pet water bottle with no-drip, no-leak, sanitary features

I have two of those exact 16 ounce bottles in my c&c cage for my 3 girls. I've seen those bottles in 32 ounces somewhere, so I'll probably get one of those as the 16ounce ones get used up fairly quickly even though I change their water daily. These do not leak hardly anything at all, seriously! They do not leak unless you tilt them on their back, because for air ventilation they have a tiny little hole in the neck. A bit over-priced imo, but well worth it.

You can fit bottle brushes in them too, plus they're dishwasher safe! I heard a while ago that guinea pigs will drink more if you use a bottle instead of a bowl, so I would never use a bowl, but it's up to you.
Good luck!!

So they really work? I had seen them and wanted to get them, but I wasn't sure if they would work. I found the 32oz. one in two places online, (probably more, but I didn't look any farther) don't know if you were talking about online or in a store?

(broken link removed) is the cheapest place I found them, but when you add shipping it is the same price as another website has them listed for and that website has free shipping, so, really, I guess if I ordered it it would be a matter as to how long it would take for each website to get it here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.