Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Everyone, I'm doc!

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I'm new here and relatively new to the cavy world. I currently reside in the southeast with my wife and own three adorable piggies! All three were adopted although we didn't know we were making the right choice at the time.

First we got Booger

We adopted Booger about 7 months ago from Petco. The people that had booger before us only had him for about a week because "He wasn't as playful as they thought he was going to be." He is male, I suppose using the pronoun "He" gave that away, and is almost a year old according to the vet, but he always likes to add that it is a rough estimate.

After about 5 months and some research later we decided to get booger some little companions to play with. So now we are the proud parents of Heidi

and Gertrude.

The pictures are actually very deceiving. Gertrude is fully grown and almost a year and a half old. Heidi is only about 5 months old and probably 2/3 Gertrude's size.

Sadly booger only gets daily supervised visits with the girls since he isn't fixed yet and we've read about the dangers of piggie pregnancy. We would like to get that done so we could build them one giant C&C cage but sadly we dont have quite have the extra funds to get that done just yet.

Also I would like to point out that the ages are rough estimates given by our vet, so they may be wrong.

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
Hi & welcome to GPC!

They are cuties!

Its great that you have adopted them, I do know local shelters have paired up with Petco for adoption programs (that is a good direction Petco is taking; if they totally do not sell live pets... would be the ideal).

I am wondering if you lacked funds now to fix booger, you can also look into rescues & shelters for "vet programs" where they have discount prices for the "altering services". I have even seen these programs ran their ads in Craigslists sometimes. Hope that helps.

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

But as far as the adopting thing, I think Petco just had him up for adoption because he was brought back to them and we felt sorry that he been abandoned. But after having him and doing some research we specifically looked to adopt next time and we got lucky and found Heidi and Gertrude.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Hi, and welcome to the forums!
Just so you know, Booger should not get any playtime, supervised or not, with Heidi and Gertrude if he isn't fixed. I know you are probably very watchful and careful, but things can happen in an instant, and you shouldn't take the risk.
P.S-You have some very cute piggers right there!

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Yeah I know, but we've only had the girls for about 2 months now and half of that time they weren't around booger. So right now all he does is purr at them and play follow the leader with them and whenever he tries to smell them they run away from him. This month is looking better for us and we are hoping to have the money to have him fixed. I know thats not a good reason to contiune to let them run around together but we are very cautious with them.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I still wouldn't do it. I'm not trying to be mean or cause a fight or anything, but it can happen in an instant, and pregnant females cost money and time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.