Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need an idea for a homemade hay rack, please.

momma2sons

Cavy Slave
My husband and I don't have extra money to go out and buy extra grids so I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to make a hay rack from a box? I have a decent size box but not quite sure how to cut it to fit or attach it. Thanks.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
Here are a few ones I use:
1. a box with a rectangle cut on the bottom.
2. a box made out of coroplast with a rectangle cut at bottom
3. a box stuffed with hay
4. a recycling bin with a whole cut in it

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Here's what I did... I took an empty cracker box and cereal box and cut a rectangle out at the bottom, clipped it/ziptied it to the a grid, with the open box top where I could shove hay into the box. It worked great, but it ended up getting torn off by my toddler about a week or two after I'd been using it. He likes to hand-feed hay. :rolleyes:

momma2sons

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your help. :)

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
If you are willing to refill this a few times a day, use paper towel rolls and cut the all the way down the middle, then over load them with tons of hay! It is a game for them and it sort of solves your problem.
You can desinate a special spot on the floor in the cage and load it up with hay. Maybe if you have a spare igloo or hidey (If you have more than one pig, and only one hidey, this may not work out very well.) you can fill the igloo or whichever you choose up with hay. You can use a cardboard box, but it may not look like a cardboard box at the end of the day.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
You can use a cardboard box, but it may not look like a cardboard box at the end of the day.

Exactly. I tried that once. I took a drs foster & smith box that just came, and even though I filled it with a nice layer of carefresh, it still got a bit gross on the bottom of the corners (there were dark stains, kinda wet, you get the picture xD). And I cut multiple entry and exit ways for them, but they decided they wanted to customize them for themselves, so they chewed the already ragged edges and little pieces of cardboard were on the fleece, which wasn't a problem to clean up, but still.

Also, the entrance I cut was too low, and therefore too weak, so it got knocked down by the piggers, and the lovely somewhat soiled carefresh and hay that fell in there spilled out onto the fleece. ;] I woke up one morning, went to check on them, and I just stood there like: :eek: :eek: It was icky.

Hope this helps!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.