Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pig bedding

stolensols

Cavy Slave
Can i use a bedding cloth that is 50% polyester and 50% cotton? I cant find fleece in my country.

twozie

Cavy Slave
Hi I am sure you can as long as you have a thick layer of batting or towels underneath to help absorb the urine. Perhaps you could also try flannel or something like that, it's basically a big cushion to keep the guinea pigs dry and not walking all over their urine.
Hope that helps:)

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
The difference is that fleece wicks moisture away -- rather than soaking up fluid, it makes it run through to the layers underneath. Therefore, fleece stays dry on top. Other fabric won't. With another fabric you'll probably have to change it every day but if you're up for the work, it's a possibility. Otherwise I'd go with a safe alternative bedding (kiln-dried pine, aspen, paper pellets, etc.).

snistopher

Cavy Slave
I use the aspen bedding with a layer of Carefresh on top, which works quite well. Granted, the Carefresh can get expensive, but I (and my Doodles) likes this system since I can pat it down. It works out well.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and also flannel with layers underneath. My daughter for christmas gave me a small hand held vac. I love it and seems to make it so much easier to clean their pen. However they scatter when I turn it on. I'm thinking on re-designing their pen so I can easily get around their pen when I clean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.